Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #16
Gotian
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Gotian
Re: gtp first kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman'd b18
i like to do trannys first in any car i mod, simply b/c if you cant get the power to the ground, you cant reallly go that fast....

well the reason why i said that about the tranny was not neccessarily to get the power down but more so that you dont destroy the life of the car. Considering those cars only come in Auto's (and in my experience fairly weak autos since they use the same tranny for the regular Grand Prix GT's and the GXP's ) they can burn the gears out very quick if you are putting that much stress on the car with a stock converter and tranny.

Will the converter put more power down with those mod's, yes but it is there more for safety reason cause last thing you want is for your converter to break in half and the tranny to take so much stress it blows causing more damage to the engine costing you more money to replace it.

Luckly jeep is taking things slowly and he knows what he is doing and he researches things before he goes about to do it. (Though taking it slow could be the cause of lack of money from parts and bills.) I just hope the OP does some extensive research before doing anything that might cause more harm then good, so just a warning on the tranny on these cars.

One example is my dad has a 97 GT completely stock and from just daily driving the transmission burned out twice on him and the the first time actually caused some damage on the motor because it was not shifting, the car had 80k miles on it so he had the tranny rebuilt and the motor fixed up. at 100k miles the tranny gave out again. he had it rebuilt again. Now the tranny is slipping once more, on top of that the power steering is shot so the car now sits on the lawn till he has the time to get it fixed again.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:00 AM   #17
jeepgclwj
AF Enthusiast

I agree with Gotian about the transmission being a weak link, but there are whole lot of people running low 13's-high 12's on a stock transmission...

I know a guy that is a consistant high 12 car that has made over 50 runs down the 1/4 and he's still running on the stock transmission...I'd mod the shit out of it and then if need be get a new transmission... I dont know alot of people that even mess with the t/c unless they are upgrading the transmission...

I wonder why?

358rwhp/358rwtq with stock LS1 intake
A4 3.23 lid, pacesetter lts, ory, 243 heads, SLP LMI, ZO6 cam, BBK SSI intake, 85 mm
Old 03-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #18
CassiesMan
AF Vendor

Send a message via AIM to CassiesMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotian
Luckly jeep is taking things slowly and he knows what he is doing
Famous last words...
Old 03-10-2008, 09:04 PM   #19
jeepgclwj
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiesMan
Famous last words...
Thanks Cassie, whenever I see paragraphs written by Gotian I usually just skim over because its usually just a bunch of him patting himself on the back for thinking he knows something... So thanks for bringing that to my attention...

Good old Gotian, your dad has a GP and so your an expert about GP's...

Gotian you dont have to always be an ass. I know for a fact that you dont know WTF your talking about. I'm sure your all knowing when it comes to VW and the all mighty RX-8. You have beyond proven that but just because your dad drives a lemon GP dont mean they all are.

Its funny, on the actual GP forums I frequent and get all my info from I cant think of anyone off the top of my head that has a t/q... Sooo try again...you dont know everything about everything so please stop trying to act like you do...

A4 3.23 lid, pacesetter lts, ory, 243 heads, SLP LMI, ZO6 cam, BBK SSI intake, 85 mm
Old 03-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #20
jeepgclwj
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotian
well the reason why i said that about the tranny was not neccessarily to get the power down but more so that you dont destroy the life of the car. Considering those cars only come in Auto's (and in my experience fairly weak autos since they use the same tranny for the regular Grand Prix GT's and the GXP's ) they can burn the gears out very quick if you are putting that much stress on the car with a stock converter and tranny.

Will the converter put more power down with those mod's, yes but it is there more for safety reason cause last thing you want is for your converter to break in half and the tranny to take so much stress it blows causing more damage to the engine costing you more money to replace it.

Luckly jeep is taking things slowly and he knows what he is doing and he researches things before he goes about to do it. (Though taking it slow could be the cause of lack of money from parts and bills.) I just hope the OP does some extensive research before doing anything that might cause more harm then good, so just a warning on the tranny on these cars.

One example is my dad has a 97 GT completely stock and from just daily driving the transmission burned out twice on him and the the first time actually caused some damage on the motor because it was not shifting, the car had 80k miles on it so he had the tranny rebuilt and the motor fixed up. at 100k miles the tranny gave out again. he had it rebuilt again. Now the tranny is slipping once more, on top of that the power steering is shot so the car now sits on the lawn till he has the time to get it fixed again.

I'm glad I read this again... You are indeed correct Gotian... I have a mortgage and truck payment along with all the expenses of owning your own home and I get to spend some money here and there on my fun car thats faster than both your cars...

Not all of us can have our girls shack up with us and live at home with mommy and daddy... LOL!!! and you think you can rip on me... Come see me when you live as a man on your own... Insurance buisness cant be doing that good so I'm I'm guess you have a hard time paying for your cars and saving that couple extra bucks a week to "get out"...

I cant see how you have any friends...I'm betting your a charity case for Musashi because he seems like a good dude but you are just a? I think we have all seen the video of you so name calling isnt in order...

I feel sorry for you and I can see why you are how you are... No Cahunas!!!

Old 03-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #21
Gotian
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgclwj
I'm glad I read this again... You are indeed correct Gotian... I have a mortgage and truck payment along with all the expenses of owning your own home and I get to spend some money here and there on my fun car thats faster than both your cars...

Not all of us can have our girls shack up with us and live at home with mommy and daddy... LOL!!! and you think you can rip on me... Come see me when you live as a man on your own... Insurance buisness cant be doing that good so I'm I'm guess you have a hard time paying for your cars and saving that couple extra bucks a week to "get out"...

I cant see how you have any friends...I'm betting your a charity case for Musashi because he seems like a good dude but you are just a? I think we have all seen the video of you so name calling isnt in order...

I feel sorry for you and I can see why you are how you are... No Cahunas!!!

Dude WTF! I didnt rip on you at all! I was actually praisin gyou for what an awsome job youre doing with your GTP...again WTF!? What you just said to me i hope was a mistake because you misread something because I said nothing to offend you at all and what you said was uncalled for.

I dont go around making fun of people or calling them names or making fun of any situation they might be in whether it is financial or not. All I said was that your reason for taking it slow might have been because you have other things to pay for and if you didnt have to pay for those things the GTP would be Modded like crazy by now...
Old 03-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #22
Sleepr awd
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Sleepr awd Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepr awd

crap

jeep, relax a bit, take a few seconds and re-read what gotian said. He didn't once claim to know everything, he didn't say that his dad's was the only example and from what i can tell the guy just needs to find a better shop to rebuild his transmission. Everyone has expenses, and we all do what we can with what we've got, there's nothing wrong with taking things slowly, and those that just use credit have to pay the interest, so you can thank the CC companies for reaming them in the ass. Karma man, i've seen it and been it it. it exists.

Don't act like you don't love it.
503/2000
Old 03-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #23
jeepgclwj
AF Enthusiast

Well I took what was said as sarcasm... Which I'm not totally conviced that it wasnt... In any case it was well written to go either way... touche!!!

If indeed that it wasnt sarcasm it is what it is and maybe I shouldnt have said such hurtful things...

Old 03-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #24
GForce957
AF Enthusiast

Just the internet people...
Old 03-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #25
new2mitsu
AF Regular

we seriously need a sarcasm command :P
Datalogger
Intake
T-Pros Downpipe
Gutted Pre Cats
Mods to come: Upgraded Fuel System and 75 shot of Nitrous, Full Exhaust and hopefully 15Gs

Audio
Sony Deck
Eclipse 6x8 2 ways in the back
Clarion Kevlar cone Component System in the front
2 Alpine Type S 10 inch DVc Subs
1 Audiobahn 10 inch DVC D Jones Series
One 800 Watt Jensen amp
and a soundstream 300 watt 4 ch to the speakers
And still under 4000 lbs w/ me in the car
Old 03-12-2008, 12:14 AM   #26
GForce957
AF Enthusiast

my sarcasm icon is this
Old 03-12-2008, 12:18 AM   #27
Gotian
AF Enthusiast

i meant no sarcasm by what i said, i was just saying what was probably the situation on why you werent modding you car faster, because like the most of us we have bills to pay as well. But im glad to know how you feel about me and just so you know that shit really hurt, what you said and some things you just cant take back.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:07 AM   #28
jeepgclwj
AF Enthusiast

It is what it is... Cant take what I said back and I am a firm believer that what comes out of someones mouth in the heat of the moment is the truth as it is seen by the person saying it...

My bad, if you need a hug I'll be here for you...

I'm still not 100% convinced sarcasm wasnt involved but I guess you never know...

I guess you can learn a lesson in all of this but I really dont know what it is ...

Old 03-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #29
CassiesMan
AF Vendor

Send a message via AIM to CassiesMan

Man its getting way to Emo in here...

Everyone, go take a shot of Jameson, thats an order. Put some hair on your nuts or something.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #30
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-

we're done here...

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing