Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina APV
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
bellemouse2001
AF Newbie

Suddenly lost speedo and temp gauge

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum but after reading a bunch of the posts here I feel I am in the right place!

I have owned my 92 Lumina APV for almost a year now. Just over the last few weeks have begun to have problems.

Started to stall out while driving. No warning just shuts off. One time going 65 down the freeway! Pull over and starts back up. My Bro-in-law looked at it and said low coolant and "gunky" looking. Took to other bro yesterday for oil change and coolant flush. (works at the monkey place!)

On way back home from shop all the sudden lost speedo and temp gauge oh and the battery gauge was working then just stopped.

Temp shows all the way hot, battery shows dead and speedo at zero.

Any hints? Van starts up. Well it did last night. Haven't tried this morning. Oh... brother ran it through car wash last night after oil change with full wash including undercarriage. Then it started to snow on way home. Thought I would include that info in case relevant. Thanks!!!
bellemouse2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: Suddenly lost speedo and temp gauge

Please specify engine type;
scroll to instrument panel at www.avigex.ca/xport
Too few details to be indicative, but gunky coolant can be linked to blown transmission cooler lines in radiator tank...(common occurrence and my case last fall). Then disconnect transmisison lines from radiator tanks and use external trans cooler . if a 3.8, confirm is towing package installed: this one comes with engine oil cooler in radiator and additional external cooler for transmisison.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
bellemouse2001
AF Newbie

Update and better van info. Duh

Ok, So apparently I don't know what van I am driving. Argh. It is a 1995 Lumina APV with the 3.8 and the towing package.

The gauges are now working again. Was just a blown fuse.

Now the air compressor in the back is not working all the sudden and can't find a fuse that corresponds with it. The manual is kind of vague. Just says that if it stops working have it serviced. Anyone know? Is handy to put air in tires.

Thanks and forgive me for my previous goof! We had been looking at 2 vans one was 92 and one 95 and my memory just gave out on me that we got the 95. LOL
bellemouse2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: Suddenly lost speedo and temp gauge

THe air com,pressor is a common issue. Mine was shot many years ago: moisture got into the compressor unit uner the car, shorted electrical connections inside, and that blew the level control in the middle of the rear axle....
The fuse actually blew...but replacing it would just blow it again because of shorted components.
Verify if fuse panel is similar to my '93...
www.avigex.ca/xport/fusepanel38.jpg
...but fuse will show ELC (Electronic Level Control)anyway..probably.
IN my case, I bought a 10$ compressor to replace the original, ran the shock air tubes inside and run it all manually....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina APV