Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 323/Protegé/Familia/Etude/Allegro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 04:44 AM   #1
Johnny34456789
AF Newbie

Cool I need help with my 95 protege lx.

Hey everyone.
I could really use some advice. I just bought a 95 mazda protege Lx. Within a week the engine light came on. I've taken it to an autozone and also car X and they read my codes. they told me that I had TPS codes pop up and also codes for the egr valve. Now here are the questions.( bear in mind I'm not a mechanic or anything so sry if they are stupid questions.)Anyways.....
1. Is it possible that a faulty TPS is causing the egr valve to read a fault?
2. My car seems to run perfectly fine but when I first start it the RPMS
are around 2000. I usually let it run for a few minutes and it drops back down to around five hundred. Is this harming the car?(what if I reverse while they are at 2000?)
3. I was quoted 650 to fix both the egr valve and the TPS.
will my car be ruined if I wait awhile to replace a faulty egr or TPS?
I basically don't have enough cash to fix both and I need to know If my car is slowly being damaged. This is really stressing me out and any responses will be much appreciated.
Thanks guys.
-Johnny
Johnny34456789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
growe58
AF Regular

Re: I need help with my 95 protege lx.

I sold my 97 a year ago so I'm going from memory here so take it with a grain of salt.

The TPS is mounted with slots so you can loosen the mounting screws and rotate it a little bit. I used to do this to get better shift quality. But if I rotated too far, the check engine light would come on. So you might want to try moving it a bit and see if the check engine light goes off (it'll take probably a week of driving).

The EGR valve can be cleaned. I wrote up a procedure a while ago on another forum. Hopefully they let me link to it:
http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...t=22611&page=2

Check engine problems are almost never harmful to a car. The car is polluting a little more and using a little more gas but the computer just goes to a "generic" setting since it's unable to keep your car at optimal settings for whatever reason (in your case because something is wrong with the TPS and EGR).

2000 rpms is not all that high for a cold start on a 4 cylinder from the 90's. I'm assuming it goes down when you put the car in drive or reverse and the engine is under some load?

Good luck and you can stop stressing now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny34456789 View Post
Hey everyone.
I could really use some advice. I just bought a 95 mazda protege Lx. Within a week the engine light came on. I've taken it to an autozone and also car X and they read my codes. they told me that I had TPS codes pop up and also codes for the egr valve. Now here are the questions.( bear in mind I'm not a mechanic or anything so sry if they are stupid questions.)Anyways.....
1. Is it possible that a faulty TPS is causing the egr valve to read a fault?
2. My car seems to run perfectly fine but when I first start it the RPMS
are around 2000. I usually let it run for a few minutes and it drops back down to around five hundred. Is this harming the car?(what if I reverse while they are at 2000?)
3. I was quoted 650 to fix both the egr valve and the TPS.
will my car be ruined if I wait awhile to replace a faulty egr or TPS?
I basically don't have enough cash to fix both and I need to know If my car is slowly being damaged. This is really stressing me out and any responses will be much appreciated.
Thanks guys.
-Johnny
growe58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
Johnny34456789
AF Newbie

Thanks for the response!
Much appreciated.
and yes it goes down to about 500 when in drive.
-John
Johnny34456789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Bmwjay
AF Newbie

I just bought a 95 protege in December with the same problem check engine light on. I went to auto zone and there computer was saying that the TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor) and the EGR valve were bad. I replaced the TPS and have not had a problem since check engine light is off EGR Valve is fine. Where ever you went to have a quote to fix the problem DO NOT ever go there again they are trying to take advantage of you $650 is way too much. They are taking advantage of your inexperience with cars for that much money.
Bmwjay is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 323/Protegé/Familia/Etude/Allegro