Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
nhadder
AF Newbie

New Project - Help Needed

Ok so I am rebuilding a 67 mustang for myself, and decided recently with my wife to rebuild a Nova for my father in law for his 50th B-Day. So my Mustang will probably go on hold once again until the Nova is done.

Unlike the mustang I am not going for a full restoration. Though I know he knows how to work on cars, he isn't as capable of doing so these days so my goal is to build the car from just a rolling chassis such that I can drop modern technology into the car to give the car reliability and low maintenance. So far I have found a few shells that are possible to pick up of varying years, primarily looking at hatchbacks.

What I am going for:

I want a V8 engine with a manual transmission. I can probably handle finding new axles to handle the extra torque but what I really need is someone to suggest a good engine and tranny combo and what years/model it would be good for to easily drop in the car. The less modifications to the car the better. Shooting to spend less then 7 grand on engine and tranny.

Thanks
nhadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

Re: New Project - Help Needed

A modern engine for that Nova would be one of the new LS engines . There are companies ( salvage yards , etc. ) that deal in these engines from wrecked vehicles . They sell the engines complete with the computer and all the wiring harness . They generally run about $ 2000-2500 ! They clean , put on pallets , and ship it to you wrapped in plastic wrap ready to install .I'm sure the matching transmission could be bought along with the engine for an additional cost . Try Google and see if any hits come up ? I know there's one in Alabama that does this . I think the company name is Certified Auto Recycling ? I may be wrong about the name though ? This salvage yard is the one featured on the " Horsepower " show on the Spike Channel . Good luck and keep us updated !

Last edited by oldblu65; 04-25-2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: spElIn ?
oldblu65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
novaboy22
AF Newbie

Re: New Project - Help Needed

you wont spend 2grand on a "new" ls, go truck style and get an lq4/9 the 9 makes more power than an ls1 but is a bit heavier, however it is cheaper, if you want to go with a stick shift, t56 is a good stock trans, or auto go with a 4l60e, you do have the option to go with a carb on these motors also, that is if you want to run an aggressive cam. computer controlled cars are great when the work correctly but a nightmare when they dont. just remember that.
novaboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova