Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
fastcarsca1
AF Newbie

Question 86 ss starting poblums

Hello there just looking for some input on a starting problum that i seem to be having My 86 has the 305 in it and it was starting fine then just a few weeks ago when i turn the key all i got was a clicking sound, so i went to the yard near me and picked up a starter and tested it seemed to be ok so i put it in, when i tryed to start it i noticed that the fan moved a hair but then the starter just clicked, i thought mabe a lock, so pulled the plugs thurned it 1 full rev, by hand turned fine, when i tested the starter out of the car it made a clicking sound as it engaged the gear, any thoughts would help Thanks
fastcarsca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: 86 ss starting poblums

Welcome to AF!
How are the battery cables and connections at the battery/starter? Sometimes corrosion can get in under the insulation on the cable and cause resistance. Making sure you have clean tight connections is important. Also what condition is the battery in? Those are the first places I would check for problems.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
fastcarsca1
AF Newbie

the cable are in good order as i replaced them, the battery is well lol should be replaced but shouldn't it turn over when i put the battery booster on it and it has lots of juice?
fastcarsca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsca1
the cable are in good order as i replaced them, the battery is well lol should be replaced but shouldn't it turn over when i put the battery booster on it and it has lots of juice?
the battery booster you have may not create enough power..

take the battery to get load tested...this WILL leave no doubt as to the batteries condition...your vehicle is very old... fusable links are also in need of testing......if you see these are green in color they are corroded....this is very common on these vehicles this old..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo