Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Fiero
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
nick97gst
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to nick97gst
Angry 86 se thermostat flips in housing need help

My 86 fiero se 2.8 V6 actualy crushes the tower on top of the thermostat when i run it up past 4000 rpms i thought it was getting air from somewere so i did the head gaskets and now it runs great and everything but when i get on it the thermostat flips sideways in the housing any ideas PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
nick97gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Re: 86 se thermostat flips in housing need help

i've really never heard of this but dose it crack the housing on it? and do you get the o.e thermostat or a autozone crap or advanced? if so i'd go to get one off of dealer.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
nick97gst
AF Newbie

it actualy bends one of the bars that hold it down and just sits in the housing sideways and the temperature gauge goes to zero and yes i got it from autozone
Old 01-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Scrapper
AF Premium User

i'd go ahead and get one from dealer then and if it does it on theres they may have had a recall on that......good luck...
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
Ragtop_Renegade
AF Enthusiast

First and foremost, YES, change that thermostat. You get exactly what you pay for. When it comes to aftermarket replacement parts, what you paid for may not even be correct. I lost count of the number of times I was given the wrong part for an application.

If it doesn't say AC-Delco or Genuine GM, it's typically not worth wasting your time. Even if you are forced to go aftermarket for an obsoleted part, at least have the sense to buy a well know brand, not some no-name bargain basement piece.

OK, enough preaching from the church of OEM. You should also check the fluid levels- Fiero coolant levels are CRITICAL!! this CAN NOT BE OVERSTRESSED. The car should be on FLAT ground when checked - even a slight incline or decline will cause overfilling and/or trapped air pockets.

It is possible to have a warped/distorted housing. The thermostat should fit snug - not forced in, but also not sloppy.

Lastly, mineral deposits and such common to a 20 year old car can restrict coolant flow - when flow goes down, pressure goes up. Sure, everyone uses distilled water so that's not too big of a deal, right? Unless you can personally name every person that has ever added or changed antifreeze, flush the entire system - use heavy duty cleaning agents designed for this, and be thorough - deposits can dislodge from one place and then get stuck in another - such as a head's narrow passages, the radiator, and so forth. If you don't want the environmental hassles associated with a cooling system flush, find a shop you trust. This is fastest and best anyway as they have special high tech, high priced, fancy-pants flush machines you and I can't justify buying. Even if you don't get this far fixing your amazing somersaulting 'stat, do it anyway - cooling system maintenance is far cheaper then cooling system repairs.
3Rd gen F body floor pans/camaro door skin (L)

Why is it I see so many "Proud to be an American" bumper stickers on the backs of cars made in Japan or Korea??????
Ragtop_Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
nick97gst
AF Newbie

thanks for the help i did flush the entire system already when i did the head gaskets but i went and got an ac delco thermostat and i think it worked we'll see tommorow thanks again

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Fiero