Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
beachbumin81
AF Newbie

1996 monte carlo ran out of oil and now having?

Hi all well I lent my car to a freind and he ran it out of oil and then put 10w40 oil in it and then 3 days later it died. And know we I have to jump it any time I want to move it. I have changed the oil back to 5w30 and am now having trouble with it holding a charge and the over heated light coming on I thought the alternater was bad but it runs fine till you put it into drive or give it gas in park then the alternater light comes on and the engine hot light comes on in witch the radater fluide is cold and so is the engine I have only worked on older trucks so any advice would be great!

Thanks Justin
beachbumin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
discnik
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1196 monty carlo ran out of oil and now having?

First, do you have the 3.1 or 3.4 L ?

Second, when you say,"Out of oil", how much i.e. all, 1 quart, 2 quarts ?

When he ran it out of oil was the engine knocking, overheating, making any noise ?

When you give it pedal in "Park", does the engine run ok, or does it spit, sputter, miss, etc.?

Do you have a "Check Engine", light on ?
discnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 1996 monte carlo ran out of oil and now having?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbumin81
Hi all well I lent my car to a freind and he ran it out of oil and then put 10w40 oil in it and then 3 days later it died. And know we I have to jump it any time I want to move it. I have changed the oil back to 5w30 and am now having trouble with it holding a charge and the over heated light coming on I thought the alternater was bad but it runs fine till you put it into drive or give it gas in park then the alternater light comes on and the engine hot light comes on in witch the radater fluide is cold and so is the engine I have only worked on older trucks so any advice would be great!

Thanks Justin
if you have to jump start and the alternator light comes on you must check for proper voltage at battery with engine running if you live in a very cold climate this should be 14.5volts?

10-40wt oil will not damage an engine over a few days...also how could he burn off 4qts in a few days...is this running that bad?

because its overheating and if you live where it like zero out do you havew the correct amount of coolant in the vehicle????

you have alot of issues here perhaps its time to find another used vehicle...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo