Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
raybaloy
AF Newbie

How to know defective EGR Valve Windstar 99 3.8

Kindly help me of how could I figure out if my EGR Valve is defective, since I do not have ODDII tools. Further, please let me know also about EGR valve regulator function. Thanks and regards.
raybaloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #2
LeSabre97mint
AF Enthusiast

Re: How to know defective EGR Valve Windstar 99 3.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybaloy
Kindly help me of how could I figure out if my EGR Valve is defective, since I do not have ODDII tools. Further, please let me know also about EGR valve regulator function. Thanks and regards.
raybaloy

Why do you think your EGR valve is bad? Many autoparts stores will read codes for free for you. Check around. Were you able to read the posts on top of the Windstar page?

This link should help you learn about EGR: http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-te...r-replaced.htm

Welcome to AFs!

Dan

Photos of my repairs: http://dansautopictures.shutterfly.com/
Check this out:http://threewheelmotorcyclemetro.shutterfly.co

A must read about problems Windstars have: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=672854

95 Windstar 240,000+
98 Windstar 136,000+ 09-25-2008.
85 Dodge 1 Ton Snow mover gas hog
91 Mazda Protege free beater
SW MN
LeSabre97mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
Andrew1941
AF Regular

Re: How to know defective EGR Valve Windstar 99 3.8

I am not sure if a 99 is the same as a 2001, so bare with me. On mine, I took off the vacuum line from the passenger side ventillation controls (under the hood look for the red 1/8" line passenger side near the A/C). This line, when the engine is running, has full vacuum. I then removed the green line, which comes from the EGR valve, from the solenoid on the back side of the manifold (passenger side) and with the engine running, hold the two lines together so there is no leak and vacuum is applied to the EGR valve. If the valve is functioning, you should be able to stall out the engine quite easily. If the valve diaphram has a leak or is stuck you may or may not be able to stall the engine.

If you want to test the DPFE sensor (which controls the EGR valve) then you need to perform the same test, but at the same time, test the voltage coming from the sensor (i.e. out of the sensor to the computer) and see what the voltage out (compared to ground) is before and during application of vacuum. Voltage out should vary as vacuum is applied, meaning that the pressure sensor is working. If the voltage doesn't vary, make sure you have a good connection and try again. If the voltage output stay the same, you have a bad DPFE sensor which is a common failure on Windstars. VERY EASY to change the sensor. If the sensor is a problem, what happens is DPFE tells the computer that the pressure drop in the EGR tube is not changing (meaning the flow is not increasing), even though it may actually be increasing. The computer then tells the EGR valve to open more, so it does, but the DPFE still sends back the same signal. Eventually the EGR valve is wide open and there is an incorrect mixture of exhaust gas to air combination in the engine. It can run rough and cause P0401 codes to appear. In my case, the engine was missing every once in a while, particularly on light accelleration on a gradual up hill condition. If I punched it, the missing would stop because the mixture in the engine would get better. Changin the sensor fixed it completely. Then if you remove the battery lead for a few minutes, the codes will go away OR get the codes reset with a code reader.
Andrew1941 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar