Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
CassiesMan
AF Vendor

Send a message via AIM to CassiesMan
Almost fast enough

I was heading to a party last night after doing a photo shoot with my local Mazda club, and being a bit late after picking up a friend, I was driving a wee bit quick. Getting off from one highway and on to another, I saw something up ahead moving equally quick, so I decided to catch up. From a bit of a ways back, I could already tell it was a BMW, I could tell from the exhaust it was definitely an M. As I rolled up on it, I got the confirmation via the badge, the exhaust, and that always interesting rear end that confirmed it to be an M Coupe of the Z3 vintage. I could tell he had an exhaust for sure, most likely that was it.

I roll up next to him going about 70, looked over, and gave him a friendly little nod. My lady friend gave him the thumbs up, and I hear him down shift. I drop from sixth to fourth, and no sooner do I let the clutch out he jumps on it. I nail it just as he puts about a nose on me, and stop his pull pretty fast.

Wind out fourth, slam into fifth at about 85, hold it there, and we are still running doors. 95 clicks by, I have a bit of a nose on him, and it stays that way up through 110. Shut down at a little bit over 115 with my nose just up on him a little bit, I would say his rear view mirror was at my rear door handle.

Followed him a bit more on the highway, and we both take the same exit, line up at the light. I give it a few revs, he does the same. Light goes green, I slip out the clutch from 2500ish...

and hop, spin, and bog out. Traction control+FWD=epic fail. The light up ahead is only about fifty yards though, and by the time I get rolling, I'm pulling him in before we have to stop. Thumbs up and waves all around, he turns of. That was pretty much it for this weekend, we didn't do any pulls or anything at our mini meet. Should have a few good ones next weekend, though, supposed to be a big RX7club meet.
CassiesMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:10 AM   #2
GForce957
AF Enthusiast

Re: Almost fast enough

You go into 5th at 85? Jee Zus. Nice kill tho, I always thought that Z3 M was quicker then that, but I guess not. What engine does it use, E36 M3?
GForce957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
Sleepr awd
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Sleepr awd Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepr awd

nice to know the bmw community hasn't shunned you for buying a mazda

Don't act like you don't love it.
503/2000
Sleepr awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #4
superman'd b18
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to superman'd b18

oh i remember the good ol' days of dumping the clutch... seems like so, so long ago:P then you realize you have to buy a new one.... 350 bux... and you dont have 350 bux.... then the car sits for a few weeks.... you order the parts... they st in the garage for a few months.... you fix the car... you break the new clutch in in 5 minutes trying to figure out how you ever did this.... nah im just messin around... im in studyhall bored as hell with nothin to do.... wow this was pointless ;p

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=20455042

my d16: one ricer downed at at a time
-BT of GDSR: GOD DAMN STREET RACERS!!!!
superman'd b18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
CassiesMan
AF Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForce957
You go into 5th at 85? Jee Zus. Nice kill tho, I always thought that Z3 M was quicker then that, but I guess not. What engine does it use, E36 M3?
Yup. I'll race anyone to second gear, because I promise I'll get there before anyone else, lol. Depending on the year, its was either the S52B32 from the end of the line E36 Ms, or the S54B32 out of the E46, detuned in most forms. From what it looked like and what I remember from working at the dealership, it was most likely a Dinan exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchico, cuz you'll always be Elchico to me
nice to know the bmw community hasn't shunned you for buying a mazda
Shhh...don't tell them!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
stwatson
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to stwatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiesMan
Yup. I'll race anyone to second gear, because I promise I'll get there before anyone else, lol. Depending on the year, its was either the S52B32 from the end of the line E36 Ms, or the S54B32 out of the E46, detuned in most forms. From what it looked like and what I remember from working at the dealership, it was most likely a Dinan exhaust.

Shhh...don't tell them!
WOW...nice kill man. Just wondering...and maybe its because Im just starting to post on this forum, what kind of car do you have and what has been done to it? Most M-series BMW's are fairly quick cars and your in a Mazda (no offense) and usually they arent as fast. So you must have some work done

Nice Kill
Old 02-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
TorchedStealth
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TorchedStealth

He has a Mazdaspeed 3...he will chime in with his mods im sure
2005 Saturn Ion Redline - Injector Dynamics 1000cc Injectors|E85|Harrop TVS1320 Blower|2.9" pulley|3" Intake|Vibrant Header and catless Downpipe|Hahn 3" catback|N2MB Wot Box w/2-step and no-lift shift|Cobra Heat Exchanger|Hurst STS|Ottp Stage 1 trans mounts|AEM EUGO Wideband|Aeroforce Interceptor|HPTuners (self tuned)|Mop Top Pros Carbon Fiber badges|B&G Springs
TorchedStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
CassiesMan
AF Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stwatson
WOW...nice kill man. Just wondering...and maybe its because Im just starting to post on this forum, what kind of car do you have and what has been done to it? Most M-series BMW's are fairly quick cars and your in a Mazda (no offense) and usually they arent as fast. So you must have some work done

Nice Kill
No offense taken.

Most people don't know about the Speed3, and thats why I love. Someone rolls up on me thinking I have some riced out 3 with 18s and a loud exhaust and they got an easy deal coming. Its a Mazdaspeed3, with a CP-e intake and Corksport catback exhaust. The intake really is the big first mod for this car, many people dynoing near 20 wheel horsepower more. The catback isn't a big deal, but I am working on the turbo back. I am picking up an HKS SSQV here in about an hour.

Tomorrow morning I'm heading to a local exhaust place to see if they will be willing to get those pesky emission control things out of the exhaust flow's way. Stock boost is 15 pounds, but with our shoddy ass stock BPV I'm spiking to 16 pounds and holding 13.

AFRs, however, are wonderfully rich. Wide open throttle, I start at about a low 11, and by the time I'mr reaching out into the rev range, I'm in the low 9s...I need to lean this bitch out.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #9
GForce957
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stwatson

Nice Kill
Sometimes, when I have that question, I look at peoples sig where they put what car they drive...
GForce957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
Sleepr awd
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Sleepr awd Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepr awd

luckily i'm so very sneaky. you have to keep up with me to know what i have. which right now is practically nothing.

Don't act like you don't love it.
503/2000
Sleepr awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
superman'd b18
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to superman'd b18

yea... those speed3 kick major ass.... there was one of those at our local meetin spot last year... and if i do recall correctly, it shoved a boot in a 5.0 mustang's ass....

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=20455042

my d16: one ricer downed at at a time
-BT of GDSR: GOD DAMN STREET RACERS!!!!
superman'd b18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #12
ShadowWulf2K
AF Newbie

Quote:
Most people don't know about the Speed3, and thats why I love. Someone rolls up on me thinking I have some riced out 3 with 18s and a loud exhaust and they got an easy deal coming.
I remember when they first came out. I saw them on the Mazda website. I looked at the car and didn't get it at first. Then I saw the HP and did a double-take! lol, quick little things. (and I love Mazda's interiors!!!)
ShadowWulf2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:26 PM   #13
subieskier
AF Newbie

Quote:
Stock boost is 15 pounds, but with our shoddy ass stock BPV I'm spiking to 16 pounds and holding 13.

AFRs, however, are wonderfully rich. Wide open throttle, I start at about a low 11, and by the time I'mr reaching out into the rev range, I'm in the low 9s...I need to lean this bitch out.
I'm not real knowledgeable about the Speed3 but it's an awesome car. Sounds like a protune for more boost + meth might really wake that motor up to its potential. Do you know if your motor responds to tuning like, say, an EVO?
subieskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:54 PM   #14
CassiesMan
AF Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by subieskier
I'm not real knowledgeable about the Speed3 but it's an awesome car. Sounds like a protune for more boost + meth might really wake that motor up to its potential. Do you know if your motor responds to tuning like, say, an EVO?
Basic bolt ons are amazing for this car. As far as ECU tuning, no clue. The only options on the market now are stanbacks, neither of which really offer anything for what you pay. Basically stupid expensive boost controllers. However, I am second in line locally for the Cobb AP. My midpipe shipped on Friday, and sometime this week I'll be picking up a new BOV to see if that solves my current boost leak.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #15
-Jayson-
AF Enthusiast

nice kill

I have still yet to race a MS3. . .

SouthEast Ecotec Enthusiast
-Jayson- is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing