Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corsica
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 03:31 AM   #1
P&G Photo
AF Newbie

96 corsica 2.2 died

Hi,
I have a 96 corsica w/ a 2.2 4cyl. The car died recently and hasn't started since. I have changed (so far) the plugs and wires, MAP sensor and fuel psi reg. I have confirmed that I'm getting a spark at the plugs ( don't know if it's hot enough or how to confirm that) and I've got fuel being supplied to the fuel rail and still no fire. I suspected a broken timing chain but the rockers are functioning when cranking the engine. When trying to start the car it will crank and crank but doesn't seem to fire unless the the throttle is cracked wide open and then it will fire for just a second before quitting. A check of the computer revels no codes being thrown. What's happening here?
Thanks in advance for any help.
KP
P&G Photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
taillight
AF Enthusiast

Re: 96 corsica 2.2 died

First do a compression test.
taillight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

I agree with taillight. A compression test will confirm if the cylinder head is cracked or the gasket is blown (very common issue on the GM 2.2, especially if it overheated or was run hot). Are the plugs wet with fuel or dry? You could have an injector issue, so I'd also check for injector pulse while cranking.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
jsgold
AF Enthusiast

Your system should be able to throw a nice blue spark 2" or so. I would try having someone crank it over and see if you are getting enough fire. Other common problem for Corsicas are igniton modules, and crank sensors. the crank sensor tells the computer WHEN to fire. If bad it will not fire right or at all. It is a cheaper part. The igniton module will set you back about 80 bucks if that is it. You can remove (coils and module come out as one assembly) and then remove the module and have tested at Advance or autozone. Might also try a fuel pressure test just in case your fuel pump is bad. Also common.... should be around 40 lbs. I have replaced or had replaced all of these items over the years on our 91 and the Berettas we have owned.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corsica