Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
Kebo33
AF Newbie

Front end Vibration?

Ok, long story as short as I can make it.........'99 Blazer is the wifes car and I have a '96 Explorer. Since we commute together the Blazer has been sitting in the garage since around Feb. I bought new tires, replaced the drag link, and had a front end alignment on the Blazer in Feb. About 2 weeks ago I decided that instead of having brand new tires sitting on something we were not driving, I had them rotated off of the Blazer and onto my Explorer. That is where the problem comes in. Since putting the explorer tires on the Blazer it shakes something fierce at speeds above 60mph. This past weekend I replaced the ball joints and the shocks on the Blazer but it is still shaking. So with all of those parts replaced, does it sound like the tires are the culprit? The funny thing is that the Explorer did not shake with those tires on it. Nor did the Blazer shake with the new tires that I had on it. Could it be that the tires are just worn to the drive pattern of the Explorer and new tires would cure the problems?
Kebo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: Front end Vibration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebo33
Ok, long story as short as I can make it.........'99 Blazer is the wifes car and I have a '96 Explorer. Since we commute together the Blazer has been sitting in the garage since around Feb. I bought new tires, replaced the drag link, and had a front end alignment on the Blazer in Feb. About 2 weeks ago I decided that instead of having brand new tires sitting on something we were not driving, I had them rotated off of the Blazer and onto my Explorer. That is where the problem comes in. Since putting the explorer tires on the Blazer it shakes something fierce at speeds above 60mph. This past weekend I replaced the ball joints and the shocks on the Blazer but it is still shaking. So with all of those parts replaced, does it sound like the tires are the culprit? The funny thing is that the Explorer did not shake with those tires on it. Nor did the Blazer shake with the new tires that I had on it. Could it be that the tires are just worn to the drive pattern of the Explorer and new tires would cure the problems?

A shake at 60 MPH points to wheel balance problem.
A weight may have came off when changing tires.
I would have the wheel balance checked first and go from there.
MT
Old 10-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
Kebo33
AF Newbie

Ok, finally got around to getting new tires and a front end alignment today. The shaking is still in there. Not as bad, seems the old Explorer were cupped and causing some of the problem. But that still leaves me with whatever is going on now. Below 50mph I can't feel it. 50 and above it starts and is the worst at 70mph. Above that and it starts to taper off, but is still present. Anybody have any other ideas other than tires out of balance? 3 wheel balances and new tires with another wheel balance later and it is still there.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 10-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

A shake at that speed still points toward wheel balance.
I would find a good aligment shop that check it out and has the equipment to balance the tires on the car.
With the proper equipment to spin the wheels at road speed on the car they can pin point the shake and get to the problem.
Good luck.
MT

Last edited by MT-2500; 10-25-2007 at 05:27 PM.
MT-2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
inafogg
AF Enthusiast

did you drive the blazer at all in the 7 mths it sat??i'll bet it would
have vibrated also.if you really want to no switch them back.then
take it back to tire shop & have them replced.im thinking that they
got flat spots from sitting too long.
inafogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
Kebo33
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by inafogg
did you drive the blazer at all in the 7 mths it sat??i'll bet it would
have vibrated also.if you really want to no switch them back.then
take it back to tire shop & have them replced.im thinking that they
got flat spots from sitting too long.

Wouldn't be flat spots.....as I took those tires off and put them on my Explorer and I put new tires on the Blazer today and still have the vibration.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
inafogg
AF Enthusiast

so what ever car that has the new tires also has the vibration??
inafogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
blazes9395
Newbie mod

Do you notice the shaking at the front or at the back of the truck. Do you notice shaking in the steering wheel when your driving? Is it more pronounced as your accelerating(foot on the pedal) or coasting at the speeds you indicated. If you apply the brakes at those speeds do you notice any difference(more or less shaking). Having it sit so long, it could be a couple of things for sure. U-joints comes to mind, is this 4wd? If it is, is the front end disengaging when the 4wd is off?
blazes9395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:49 PM   #9
CanukGMC
AF Regular

You know not to sound like a parrot here but you replaced tires and mysteriously a vibe showed up, a vibe that acts EXACTLY like a tire-missballance. My f150 did the same thing, but I only replaced my driveshaft ujoints (they were bad anyways) before I stopped, cleared my head then paid 20$ to have two front tires ballanced and voila no more vibe. You've changed EVERYTHING ELSE under the sun, how about shooting 20$ off for a wheel re-balance? It sounds just like a bad tire ballance, maybe the rims are dinged too if you replaced the two tires and the vibe stayed. Did you check your driveshaft ujoints as well? Tires and ujoints are 90% of the vibes you get on a truck at that speed.
CanukGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:52 AM   #10
Kebo33
AF Newbie

Wink Re: Front end Vibration?

Thanks for all of the replys. I don't have to worry about it anymore. I traded it in yesterday and bought a Dodge Ram Quad Cab, with a Hemi. I have been wanting a truck. 8-)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis