Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
rummermail
AF Newbie

98 Accord starts, then stalls right away and won't restart

Honda Accord Forum Honda Accord Classifieds Photo Gallery Member List Calendars Search Contact HAF Sponsors
Forum FAQ Accord History Honda Accord Recalls TSBs Timeslips My Profile Inbox My Forums Log Out

98 Accord starts, then stalls right away and won't restart

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: rummermail
Users viewing this topic: rummermail
Tree Style [Subscribe] Remove Subscription Printable Version
[Reply to Message] Honda Accord >> General >> General Tech Help >> 98 Accord starts, then stalls right away and won't restart Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic Newer Topic >>
98 Accord starts, then stalls right away and won't restart - 7/6/2007 10:29:30 AM
New Messages
rummermail

I own a 98 Accord Coupe 2.3l 4 cylinder automatic. Here is when I have had this problem. the first few times it was at the gas station. I filled up the tank from about 1/4 full and started the engine. It started then sputtered off. Then I tried to restart it and it just cranked. i waited for a few minutes tried again. It just cranked. After a few time it started. I thought the gas might be too low living in florida and it was some for of vapor lock, not sure. I use 93 octane in the car and use Shell gas. I then had the same problem at work leaving for lunch. the car sits outside in the sun all morning. The gas guage was around less than 1/4 tank. I went and put 5 gallons of gas in the tank,which took about 20minutes and it started right up. For some reason the addition of gas to the tank helps it start up.Now today, I have 1/2 tank of gas and the same thing happens.I checked the fuse on the pump and I can hear it power up. The immobilizer light stay on for a few then shuts off while cranking. Any ideas. I am now stuck at work!!!!!!! The fuel pump is lifetime. has anybody heard of this problem?
Help
rummermail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Re: 98 Accord starts, then stalls right away and won't restart

First...you're wasting money on premium fuel...it doesn't want it or need it. 87 octane is fine for it. Anything over is just money down the tubes.

Now that I have that outta my system...there's a multitude of things that can do this....first you'll have to determine if you have both fuel and spark (back to basics)...otherwise we are totally guessing.

I have to admit I'm ignorant of the immobilizer light...this a stock passive security system, like my VATS key on my Chevy? Most of those systems the light does come on when you start it, but most people never notice when it starts normally, they're not looking for an answer like you are....I'm guessing that's normal, but can't say with confidence...

That initial run of the pump , if it come on then stops, waiting for the motor to start, should let it run about the amount of time you are describing, then die if the pump fails to restart...it sounds pretty likely that's gonna be involved here.

The pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank...that might be why adding fuel seems to help.

Anyway, maybe try depressing the schreader valve on the fuel rail when it's not starting...see if there's any fuel present (careful, under high pressure) if not, you are on the right track. It can have pressure present and not start, it takes a minimum pressure before the injectors will open (typically 35-45 psi), but if you find very weak or no pressure, the answer is pretty clear.

Then just to find out why...would have to investigate the fuel pump, it's relay, and the timer/pressure feedback circuit to make sure there's nothing wrong there...

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
00accord44
High on Potenuse

Send a message via AIM to 00accord44 Send a message via MSN to 00accord44 Send a message via Yahoo to 00accord44

I have a 2000 accord 4cyl and I've never noticed my immobilizer light stay on while I start my car other than when the entire cluster lights up and turns off together. I'm not sure if that really helps but just fyi

00accord44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
rummermail
AF Newbie

Since I was getting results when I played with the wires, I put in new plugs and wires this weekend. Honda has posted the fuel pump is lifetime on a 98. SO I chased the spark issue first and so so good. I am going to let the tank run low and see what happens. thanks for all your help.
rummermail is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid