Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 02:44 PM   #1
Lplus
AF Newbie

Angry Can't remove Jeep drums, Ideas?

I have a 94 cherokee and am trying to change the rear brakes, but I can't get the drums off. They are not stuck, that is I can move the around and in and out a little. The adjusters are turned all the way ,
but they didn't move the shoes much. I knocked off the heads of the pins holding the shoes, still no dice. I have tried knocking with a wooden block, even got wd-40 on the brake surfaces, and I can only get the drums off almost even with the ends of the wheel studs. Even if the drums need turning real bad, they should come off at this point.

I am about to detach the brake line and remove the 2 bolts that hold the cylinder to the back plate. Will that losten things up? Thanks, Larry
Lplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 11:26 AM   #2
bigredcj-7
AF Newbie

if you take the brake line off the pressure should be relased
bigredcj-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 11:59 PM   #3
trukasaurus
AF Newbie

Re: Can't remove Jeep drums, Ideas?

use a little heat, acy/oxy will expand the drum enough for it to come off. Check E brake cables, to see if they are not siezed in the on position.
trukasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 11:38 PM   #4
b1gfella
AF Regular

I went through this same thing a few months ago. Same scenario. The shoes were so worn down that they would not adjust out enough to remove the drums. I ended up taking them to a shop and they put it on a lift and swung a 50 lb sledgehammer at the drums trying to break them loose but no dice. They ended up cutting the drums off. We had to replace everything inside because it was all rusted. 94 Cherokee. It does stop alot better now :-) I guess last year when New York did my inspection or for that matter the last few years I'll bet they never removed the rear drum to check it! I think it was the original workings! DOH!

"Problems are just solutions in work clothes"
b1gfella is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > General Discussion