Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 08:19 PM   #1
brooksandkendra
AF Newbie

Irritating 960 Issues!

I have a 1995 960 that has erratic idling upon startup. It will jump between 0-1000 rpms which causes the car to feel like it wants to bog out but it hasn't yet. This just started this week, however, I have had this ongoing issue with the car lacking power when trying to accelerate at any speed and also it mysteriously skips when traveling between 45-50 mph. I have had it looked at for the skip and the mechanic could not figure it out. Also, I informed him of the lack of power but he never felt it when driving it-go figure. So, with all that said, I wonder if they are all related somehow? If anyone can guide or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Oh yeah, I am a female- so don't come at me with too difficult of a question. Thanks.
brooksandkendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:24 AM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Irritating 960 Issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksandkendra
I have a 1995 960 that has erratic idling upon startup. It will jump between 0-1000 rpms which causes the car to feel like it wants to bog out but it hasn't yet. This just started this week, however, I have had this ongoing issue with the car lacking power when trying to accelerate at any speed and also it mysteriously skips when traveling between 45-50 mph. I have had it looked at for the skip and the mechanic could not figure it out. Also, I informed him of the lack of power but he never felt it when driving it-go figure. So, with all that said, I wonder if they are all related somehow? If anyone can guide or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Oh yeah, I am a female- so don't come at me with too difficult of a question. Thanks.
My guess is they are 2 separate issues. The idle/lack of power, I would suspect an airleak.
The miss, plugs,wires, distributor cap/rotor.
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:42 AM   #3
brooksandkendra
AF Newbie

What component on the vehicle would be associated with the air leak? The vacuum hose? Also, I have all new plugs and wires- so I don't think that is it. I do know that those were checked for the skip intially also so that would rule those out. I forgot to mention in the previous post that my car has a really bad smell when I crank it and let it warm. It is not an exhaust leak, I have had that checked too. It is really frustrating to have these issues and have my mechanic write them off. He won't spend the time to find out what the issues may be. That is why I have posted on here, Thanks so much for the feedback. Believe me, it has been very helpful.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
What component on the vehicle would be associated with the air leak? The vacuum hose? Also, I have all new plugs and wires- so I don't think that is it. I do know that those were checked for the skip intially also so that would rule those out. I forgot to mention in the previous post that my car has a really bad smell when I crank it and let it warm. It is not an exhaust leak, I have had that checked too. It is really frustrating to have these issues and have my mechanic write them off. He won't spend the time to find out what the issues may be. That is why I have posted on here, Thanks so much for the feedback. Believe me, it has been very helpful.
First, has your mechanic pulled any codes??
By airleak. I mean, intake manifold gasket leak. Intake hoses cracked, holes, etc.
The smell? Rotten eggs may be a partial clogged catalytic converter, would also explain loss of power. Normally there is a removable plug in front of the cat, that you can remove and test drive and see if it improves.
Or worst case, head gasket, smell of antifreeze out the exhaust,,etc.

Try posting here. Lots of Volvo smart guys there.http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index....2006;model=900
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
brooksandkendra
AF Newbie

Thanks! I am going to remove that plug- will let you know. Also, that odor does not smell like eggs. Its definately a chemical smell. What about some sort of sensor componet? My mechanic has no time in the next 3 weeks to fix, but he said he can run the codes to try and troubleshoot. We will see!
Old 05-08-2008, 01:33 AM   #6
babycarlover34
AF Newbie

Quote:
Thanks! I am going to remove that plug- will let you know. Also, that odor does not smell like eggs. Its definately a chemical smell. What about some sort of sensor component? My mechanic has no time in the next 3 weeks to fix, but he said he can run the codes to try and troubleshoot. We will see!
Can't you do the troubleshooting yourself for the sensor?
babycarlover34 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > General Discussion