Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
mwj61
AF Newbie

91' 4.3

i bought a rebuilt 4.3 for my blazer hasthe usual, new pistons, rings, head and block work done etc. after installing it and trying to crank it found out it has no compression on the even side, 2,4, and 6 cylinders has no compression ( pulled the plugs to check ) the valves on that side are staying open.the guy i got the motor from is sending longer rocker arm studs to make that side adjustable he said that would fix the problem any ideas on this out there? also he said he put new lifters but not a new cam in it because its a roller cam and they dont wear out? i always heard with new lifters should have a new cam am i wrong? thanks for any help...
mwj
mwj61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:32 AM   #2
OverBoardProject
Banned

Re: 91' 4.3

Since you bought a re-built motor you should have a good motor.

Contact the idiot and insist that he either fixxes it himself or pays a professional mechanic to fix it!

I really can't see how the rockers can be the problem anyways. And if they are then why isn't the other side doing the same thing. He missed the push rods or something.

Plus if you don't adjust the valves right they'll burn quickly, and it's a messy job. Unless you have a spare valve cover and drill holes above the adjusters. (even then it's a little messy)

It isn't nessary to always replace the cam with lifters, although it's standard practice. I hope that he at least inspected the cam.

Good luck dealing with him.
OverBoardProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
mwj61
AF Newbie

a local machine shop owner said what they likely did was shave the head a little to much and didnt take any off the bottom of the valves..the guy i got the motor from sent a little longer set of rocker studs so we can set that side to adjust ( letting up on that side allows the valves to close so the shaved head theory sounds about right i think ) thanks for the input....
mwj
mwj61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
OverBoardProject
Banned

If it was my engine I'd still make him get a professional to look at it, and fix it.
Besides like I said before, you paid for a re-built motor that should have run for years without any problems.

If 1 head was shaved more than the other you'll have compression issues with the 1 side being higher than the other. Which might cause knocking, or even cause the motor to vibrate. I wouldn't expect it to last as long.

When it's running properly you might want to get a complete compression test done, to confirm that all the cylinders are within spec's
OverBoardProject is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer