Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 02:32 AM   #1
strodda
AF Enthusiast

adding tweeters

currently i have a pair of full-range kenwoods up front, but i want to have tweeters. if i bought a tweeter set w/crossover, could i use those and have the lows going to the fullrange speakers?? or would that create a lower ohm load?
strodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 08:19 AM   #2
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GSteg
you're ok with that. if you hook the midrange and the tweeter to the same amp channel, then it would lower the ohm.
GSteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 10:31 AM   #3
igo4bmx
Banned

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
Quote:
Originally posted by GSteg
you're ok with that. if you hook the midrange and the tweeter to the same amp channel, then it would lower the ohm.
it would depend how to wire it to..
parrallel to 4 ohm speakers to get 2 ohm load
series it to get 8 ohm
igo4bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 04:17 PM   #4
strodda
AF Enthusiast

ok thanks.

but then how do component speakers work? theyre labeled as 4ohm's. so does that mean the mid and high are 8ohm speakers? then when you wire them together with a crossover it brings it down to 4.
Old 06-07-2002, 05:44 PM   #5
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by igo4bmx

it would depend how to wire it to..
parrallel to 4 ohm speakers to get 2 ohm load
series it to get 8 ohm
i don't think you can wire 2 SVC in series.
Old 06-07-2002, 05:44 PM   #6
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by strodda
ok thanks.

but then how do component speakers work? theyre labeled as 4ohm's. so does that mean the mid and high are 8ohm speakers? then when you wire them together with a crossover it brings it down to 4.
yup.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:29 PM   #7
EFsleeper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to EFsleeper
I really, really hate when people come into my shop and want to do this. You are better off getting yourself a decent set of components. Here are the reasons why.
If you wire the tweeters in series with your existing speakers you will increase (double) the ohm load with results in cutting the power in half. when you cut the power in half you cut the sound. If you were to wire the tweeters in parallel you will make the ohm load split (usually to 2 ohms) in which case your headunit is almost garunteed to fry. I have yet to see a radio which is designed to be 2 ohm stable. so to make a long story short get some components or add an amp that is 2 ohm stable.

- Brian
Old 06-11-2002, 12:57 AM   #8
strodda
AF Enthusiast

well thanks, but youre a couple days late. and of course i have an amp, and it is 2ohm stable. and wouldnt wiring them together help? running at 2ohms means more power to the speakers. the speakers i have now work fine, and if i get a good pair of tweeters, itll do the same thing as a comp set.
Old 06-11-2002, 10:12 AM   #9
EFsleeper
AF Enthusiast

Well if you have an amp that is two ohm stable go for it. You still need a crossover for your tweeters though. You could pick up a set of bass blockers from Circuit city or Best Buy.

- Brian
Old 06-11-2002, 06:36 PM   #10
strodda
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by EFsleeper
Well if you have an amp that is two ohm stable go for it. You still need a crossover for your tweeters though. You could pick up a set of bass blockers from Circuit city or Best Buy.

- Brian
yea, thanks i tried that. got a pair of bassblockers from crutchfield... and they sucked ass(metaphorically speaking ) but i have a Sony XM752EQX, so i dont need'em anymore.

i gotta question though. would it be ok if i ran the fullrange how i have them now, and hook the tweeters though the receiver? or is that some audio no-no.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:05 AM   #11
EFsleeper
AF Enthusiast

i gotta question though. would it be ok if i ran the fullrange how i have them now, and hook the tweeters though the receiver? or is that some audio no-no.

Do you mean run your full range off of your amp and the tweeters off of your deck? let me know
Old 06-12-2002, 12:40 PM   #12
strodda
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

Do you mean run your full range off of your amp and the tweeters off of your deck? let me know
yea exactly. i would just be adding an extra pair of tweeters, since id still be using the ones from the fullrange. although the receiver is probably only putting out 25rms. would that make a big difference in clarity?
Old 06-12-2002, 08:28 PM   #13
EFsleeper
AF Enthusiast

tuning it may be hard but I dont see why you cant do that. You would still have to put some bass blockers on them. 25watts rms? what kind of headunit? most headunits put out 15-20 rms, although some alpines put out some decent power RMS.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:44 PM   #14
PaulD's_revenge
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by strodda
ok thanks.

NO ...... the speakers in those sets are 4 ohms. The purpose of the crossover is to seperate the frequencies - it looks to the amp like a single 4 ohm load, since they are playing different frequencies. A by-product of this is that if you have a 100 watt/ch amp hooked to a pair of mid/tweeters thru a crossover - both the mid AND the tweet will be capable of recieving the full 100 watts in it's frequency range (minus the appx 25-33% power the passive crossover consumes).
PaulD's_revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 12:11 AM   #15
strodda
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
tuning it may be hard but I dont see why you cant do that. You would still have to put some bass blockers on them. 25watts rms? what kind of headunit? most headunits put out 15-20 rms, although some alpines put out some decent power RMS.
i checked, its actually 22x4rms. its the aiwa cdc-mp3, and dont laugh dammit!!!! i know now its one of the cheaper mp3 receivers, but when i got it, it was the only one made. ill upgrade eventually, but since it works, its very low on my list of priorities.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio