Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 08:55 AM   #1
00mcss
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 00mcss
2000 Monte Carlo Banging noise

hi everyone i am new to these forums just wanted to say hi to all but i own a 2000 Monte Carlo SS i love the car to death havent had to many problems untill recently i have noticed that under hard acceleration,braking and shifting it into gear it makes a clunk noise it doesnt sound like the tranny almost like there is a broke engine mount somewhere ive jacked it up and looked at every possible spot and everything looks clean and attached. I am curious if anyone has any ideas? Any help would be appreciated
00mcss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #2
diesel1962
AF Regular

Re: 2000 Monte Carlo Banging noise

Hello,And welcome to the forum!! I would have an assistant sit in the car with engine running,And foot on the brake while shifting out of parking gear.Look at the engine and see if it is rocking back and fourth alot.No need to give car any throttle,If you have a bad engine mount,You can find out doing this simple test.Good luck,Let me know what you find out.Diesel 1962
diesel1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:32 AM   #3
00mcss
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2000 Monte Carlo Banging noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1962
Hello,And welcome to the forum!! I would have an assistant sit in the car with engine running,And foot on the brake while shifting out of parking gear.Look at the engine and see if it is rocking back and fourth alot.No need to give car any throttle,If you have a bad engine mount,You can find out doing this simple test.Good luck,Let me know what you find out.Diesel 1962
Ok i did what u suggested and engine moves a little and u can not hear the clunking noise outside the car,see the main problem here is its not consistant doesnt do it all the time,but when it does do it its either under hard acceleration,braking,or shifting and i just remembered as i was typing this that i can make it do it almost everytime when i manually downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear i forgot about that. Does anyone have any other ideas its driving me crazy,my uncle said to just turn the radio up louder so i cant hear it ahahaah but my car is my baby and anything remotely wrong with it bothers me! Any and all suggestions are welcome!
Old 12-02-2005, 12:37 AM   #4
corning_d3
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to corning_d3

Have you thought about a bad CV joint?
corning_d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:11 PM   #5
00mcss
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corning_d3
Have you thought about a bad CV joint?
yes heres why i dont think its that is bc its not consistant w/the noise if it was a bad cv joint it would do it evertime and it doesnt. Like today for instance i was backing up and put the car in drive and started to move forward pushed the gas and it did it and it sounded like it came from the rear like possibly a loose strut or somethin but ive cked all that and everythings fine i have not taken it to the dealer yet i wanted to see if i could get a consistant pattern and havent been able to.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:45 PM   #6
diesel1962
AF Regular

Hello,Maby it could be the exhaust system banging on the floor of the car.Check and see if you have any missing rubber exhaust mounts. Have a good day..Diesel 1962
diesel1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:19 PM   #7
00mcss
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1962
Hello,Maby it could be the exhaust system banging on the floor of the car.Check and see if you have any missing rubber exhaust mounts. Have a good day..Diesel 1962
thats a great i idea but just recently i had the whole exhaust system off and everythings there and good and this noise was there before i took the exhaust off im wondering if it could be a strut bushing going bad i am leaving for fl 2morrow but when i get back shes goin in the shop cause its driving me nuts i have a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper i just wanted to have some solid info before i took it in.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:12 AM   #8
Billn
AF Newbie

These cars have issues with the intermediate steering shaft and the subframe insulators. If all your front suspension, tie rods, and motor mounts, and subframe insulators are good the problem is probably in the intermediate steering shaft. The problem is called a slip stick condition. The only real solution is to replace the shaft. You should be able to purchase it from the dealer for less than $100.
Bill
Billn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:38 PM   #9
00mcss
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billn
These cars have issues with the intermediate steering shaft and the subframe insulators. If all your front suspension, tie rods, and motor mounts, and subframe insulators are good the problem is probably in the intermediate steering shaft. The problem is called a slip stick condition. The only real solution is to replace the shaft. You should be able to purchase it from the dealer for less than $100.
Bill
well that would make sense cause it does do when im turning that does make total sense does anyone know if that part would be covered under warranty? i have full 100,000 mile bumper to bumper on it i dont see why it wouldnt be covered i really appreciate all the help guys!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo