Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 03:26 AM   #1
Ratroll
AF Newbie

Thinking about buying a Geo Metro. Couple questions and are these good prices?

Hey guys,

I am going to buy my first car soon, and these Geo Metro's really caught my eye. Keep in mind, I just turned 16 and have I am a total car n00b (so don't laugh *shakes fist* )

Anyways, there are a few Geo's on sale around here.

One of them is a white, 1997, 2 door, 5-speed, 1.6 liter and 93K original miles. Also has AM/FM radio, CD player and new tires. From the pictures, the car is cosmetically excellent and totally clean. The seller is asking $1700

Another one is a green, 1994, 5-speed, 71K miles. The seller only says he is the only owner, that it runs great, and it passed smog. From the pictures it is also cosmetically excellent. He's selling it for $1800

The last one is a red, 1995, 5-speed, with 94K miles. The car has fair wheels, a new alternator belt, and good brakes. The seller also says the gears are a little hard to get into 2nd, 4th and reverse but with a little practice this shouldn't be a problem and the air bags have been deployed but there's no major damage to the front of the car. He also says all the lights are in good working condition, the car passed smog, and the car runs and starts good. He's selling it for $1200.

So, are all these good prices? Which one seems to be the best value? Kelly Blue Book says each one should be a little cheaper, but from what I have heard (online resources ) these are great cars and well worth it.

Well, here are my questions:

1) I have only done a few hours of research, but these sound like generally really reliable cars. Reliablity is the #1 factor for me. Are they as reliable as I think?

2) Are they comfortable? I am a 6'2" guy, and these cars seem kinda small, so this makes me worried.

3) I only need to drive this car a few miles through the city every day. And this would be my first car. Would you guys recommend it?

And I have already heard that these cars are cheap with insurance, and get great gas miles. Just want to confirm this

Thanks ALOT in advance.
Ratroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:41 AM   #2
chadm_88
AF Regular

Re: Thinking about buying a Geo Metro. Couple questions and are these good prices?

Sound like moderately fair prices to me, although I'm no professional car appraiser or anything, and you are right, they get excellent gas mileage, which is a big help considering the gas prices recently. I would talk the owners down as much as possible, like maybe start at $1200 for the '97. Honestly, I wouldn't want the '95. Considering its history, if the airbags have been deployed it MAY still have small problems from whatever caused them to go. Hard to say really though.

My friend and I are buying a Metro tomorrow actually, for about $75 - making it only $37.50 each, so we can't exactly go wrong with that price. It just needs a new clutch, and maybe a small amount of engine work. It runs when you jump it, but it won't go into gear, so we may have to tow it.
chadm_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 01:00 AM   #3
serenity
AF Newbie

I personally would stay away from the one that the air bags have been used. You can cobble up a car to look good again but it could have other problems. Like keeping the front end alined. Or other steering problems. I would just say with the other two sit in them, drive them, maybe have someone who knows a little about cars go with you. Keep in mind young man that geo's are not hot rods and will not fair well in a bad crash even with air bags. I know from past experence that young people like to drive fast. Heck I still like to.(and I'm an old geeser) They are good for gas miles but requier constant vigillence. Or the can become a death trap. I'm not trying to talk you out of buying a geo cause I like mine. Just remember to use caution while behind the wheel of it or any car. With that said I wish you luck on your decision. S
serenity is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro