Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Galaxy
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 11:34 AM   #1
nwindham85
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to nwindham85
Brake Problem

Seems like everytime I get in my galaxie to go show it off somewhere somethin happens lol. Anyway, I discovered I have a major leak in the brake line coming off the master cylinder. This hose T's into 2 other smaller hoses. I cant seem to get the hose off of the t because everything is rusted together. Any suggestions on where I can get these parts or how I can fix this problem?

Thanks,
Nick
nwindham85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 02:00 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Brake Problem

You are talking about steel brake lines.
The easiest way is to cut the line just above the brass fitting. Then you can slip a six sided socket over the fitting and remove it. A regular open end wrench will just round of the fittings.

Likely you have 1/4 inch line, with standard fittings. (The other smaller lines are likely 3/16 inch) These lines are often available at an auto parts place in standard lengths, like 12 inches long, 20 inch, 30 inch, etc. They come with correct brass fittings and the ends are flared properly.

Pick the new line thats closest in length to the old one, and make sure the new brass fittings have the same diameter and threads as the old.

Be sure that you do not use a 'metric' line. Most newer vehicles use metric lines which will not fit your car, so often the metric lines are easier to find these days.

If you cannot find pre - made lines, you can get a roll of brake line in bulk, some end fittings and a flare kit and make your own lines. It takes some skill and practice to make a proper flare.

You can easily bend them by hand. Do not kink it Keep all the bends nice and smooth. Duplicate all the same bends the original one had. Sometimes you can use an old wire coathanger to make a pattern of the old ones shape before you remove it.

Bleed your brakes after installation!
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Galaxy