Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 03:45 PM   #1
MadMardigain
AF Newbie

Car Audio Novice Needs Major Help Purchasing An Audio System For A New Car

Hello,

When it comes to car audio I am a complete novice. I've never looked at the stuff and have no clue what make one product better than the other.

I recently purchased a new 2005 For Escape XLS. What I am wanting to do is make some general improvements to the cars audio. I am probably going to keep the factory CD Player Stereo in the car since I run much of my music from my IPOD player via ITunes. So I'm basically looking at improvements on speakers and stuff. I really know nothing about what I would need to purchase as far as Kickers, Sub woofers, Amplifiers if any of them are worth getting in the first place.

I don't need to blow the windows off the car next to me, win any contests, or buy the most expensive stuff availible. All I am looking for is what type of system should I put together to make the cars audio be better than factory. Keep in mind I have no clue what anything really is so the more detail on what it is, what it does, speaker/Subs/Kickers/whatever sizes to look at, the best companies to look at for the price their producrs are would be more than helpful. This doesn't have to be the greatest car audio system in the world I just want to kick it up a little bit. Thanks for any help.

Matt
MadMardigain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #2
Mannyb18b
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Mannyb18b Send a message via MSN to Mannyb18b
Re: Car Audio Novice Needs Major Help Purchasing An Audio System For A New Car

(2) 15" Q's 8 cubes after 80sqin. 28hz
CDT EF-61's
Profile AP1040 on comps
NSB-100
Mannyb18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:06 PM   #3
MadMardigain
AF Newbie

From the research I did it looks like my best bet would be some type of component speakers to replace the four door factory speakers I currently have in the car. Then get some type of amp and sub added to that to complete the system.

I will probably go talk to some of the local car audio dealers tommorrow, but could use some information to bring up to them. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be good to buy for my buck this if I wanted to stay with a budget of around or under 1000 dollars.
MadMardigain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #4
L|_|da
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to L|_|da

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=382679

the second post has a list of brands, pretty self explanitory.

you will get charged out the ass by a shop for instalation, and probably parts. you can do this on your own, or with some buddies, for way cheaper, and you can get the parts cheaper.

www.ikesound.com has great deals, and if your looking @ more mainstream stuff ebay has good deals, make sure its legit though. feel free to contact me
L|_|da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:05 AM   #5
highteknology
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to highteknology Send a message via MSN to highteknology

i have one question for you...are you wanting to play your ipod through your car stereo? if so then i would suggest a new deck with an ipod adapter. both alpine and pioneer make decks with this, and the sound will probably be better than using an FM modulator. as far as what things to get:

speakers: components have three main parts. the wwoofer, tweeter, crossover. the tweeter and woofer are seperate and are usually mounted close to each other. there are also coaxial speakers, these have the tweeter and woofer mounted together (essentially, you put the speaker in the original whole and that's it).

subwoofers: these are the things that go BOOM. depending on how you want it to sound, it can get real loud and sloppy, or really tight and accurate. some of it depends on the box/enclosure you are using. a ported box (one with holes) will sound more boomier and lose some accuracy. a sealed box will sound more accurate but not quite so boomy.

as far as brands are concerned, it really depends on what all you want. with your budget you can probably get a pretty nice setup. you can ask a million people the same question, "what brand should i get?" the only really good answer, "go listen to stuff and see what you like more".

hope this helps you to some degree, ask if you have more questions.
highteknology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:40 AM   #6
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

dont get ripped off... pick up some lower line CDT componets, a small 40x2amp or so, and a single Soundsplinter Rl-i 10, 2cuft tuned to 30Hz and give it 400w or so...a very good starter system and 1000% better than stock. it will get loud too. i may also reccomend a cheaper 10band EQ.
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio