Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 02:27 PM   #1
-=BOOMER=-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to -=BOOMER=- Send a message via AIM to -=BOOMER=- Send a message via MSN to -=BOOMER=- Send a message via Yahoo to -=BOOMER=-
MSD Ignition question.

I got a used MSD SCI Ignition with rev limiter and blaster 2 coil, used off a guy for 150$

I have been trying to figure out what the triger wire is on my car. Its a 95 civic EX coupe.
I have the helms manual and have been looking at the scematic for the igition system but im not sure which wire is corect.
anyone out there done this before?

The scematic shows..

Pre Distributor

wht/blu=Top Dead Center(TDC)
blue/yel=crankshaft position(CKP)
wht=cylinder position(CYP)

Post Distributor

orn/blu=tdc
blu/grn=ckp
orn=cyp

all those wires run to the ECU.

any help would be apreciated.
Old 03-31-2002, 12:16 AM   #2
-=BOOMER=-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to -=BOOMER=- Send a message via AIM to -=BOOMER=- Send a message via MSN to -=BOOMER=- Send a message via Yahoo to -=BOOMER=-
Damn nobody has ever installed a MSD before?
Old 03-31-2002, 11:52 AM   #3
drift
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to drift
you need to replace the dizzy cap with an MSD cap, since your stock dizzy has an internal ignition coil.

to hook up the MSD, you'll disconnect the pos and neg wires from the stock coil and connect them both to the signal wires (thin white and thin red) from the MSD unit and remove the old coil. install the MSD dizzy cap and connect the blaster coil to the external port on the dizzy cap. attach the thin orange and thin black from MSD unit to the blaster coil, then attach the thick red and thick black to pos and gnd (or neg) respectively on your battery.
drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 05:31 PM   #4
SleeperTeg
AF Enthusiast

The thin white is your trigger and it goes to the neg from your old internal coil. Then the thin red, which is your +12 switched goes to the positive from the coil.

I did this 2 weeks ago and like the results I got with no other mods done to my car yet. People said it was a waste of money and i would see no improvements, but I notice a smoother idle, smoother powerband and better throttle response as well as better gas mileage (~2 mpg).

Also used NGK's gapped to .50 and MSD wires.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
SleeperTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 02:04 AM   #5
civicx_xracer
AF Regular

Sorry I can't help with the install but I had a couple questions. Are you running FE? Are you running Nitrous? Hmm...congrats on getting an ignition system for cheap but guess what...it was useless. The post before me he said that it helped his car but it's probably all in his head. Even all the "How-to-Honda" books that give you tips on how to make your honda fast say you don't need it. Too late now but for future reference.
civicx_xracer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical