Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Dealer Experiences
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Dealer Experiences If you want to brag or complain about the deal or the service you got, this is the place.
View Poll Results: What do u think of GM
They shouldn't exist 0 0%
FORD is better 0 0%
Its only their cars 0 0%
I'll still buy a GM 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 03:34 PM   #1
shawnwilliams
AF Enthusiast

You Wont Believe This

This is why you dont buy a GM product. OR have any thing to do with them.

Ok first of all i have a 94 Sunbird

My car had a serious coolant problem it constanly overheated. After i took it to the dealership they said i had a hole on the bottom of the rad and it was going to cost 500$ which they carged me 25$ just to look at. I couldn't afford it as was deciding just to get a used one installed later. I got home and looked if i could find the hole when noticing that the cap were you drain the coolant was off. I bought a new one and the rad holds coolant and works fine. ( I guess it fell of or someone ripped it off) It cost me 5$ to fix myself were they (professionals) were going to charge me $500 for an entire new rad. Believe me there going to get mouth offed tomorrow.
shawnwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:20 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: You Wont Believe This

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwilliams
This is why you dont buy a GM product. OR have any thing to do with them.

Ok first of all i have a 94 Sunbird

My car had a serious coolant problem it constanly overheated. After i took it to the dealership they said i had a hole on the bottom of the rad and it was going to cost 500$ which they carged me 25$ just to look at. I couldn't afford it as was deciding just to get a used one installed later. I got home and looked if i could find the hole when noticing that the cap were you drain the coolant was off. I bought a new one and the rad holds coolant and works fine. ( I guess it fell of or someone ripped it off) It cost me 5$ to fix myself were they (professionals) were going to charge me $500 for an entire new rad. Believe me there going to get mouth offed tomorrow.
Congradulations on fixing it yourself and saving money.
But please note that this dealership is not GM.

You can find dishonest or incompetent mechanics working anywhere, regardless of the brand of car they service. All dealerships are separate companies; the car manufacturer has little control over the quality of service that can be found there.

Also, why are you taking an 11 year old car to a dealer?? Find a good independent mechanic who appreciates repeat business. Its cheaper and better.

Finally, while $500 is a bit steep for a rad, the dealer may have done you a favour.....11 years is about the maximum reasonable lifespan for a radiator. If yours shows much corrosion inside or out, consider replacing it anyways, regardless of if it leaks of not. (its easy to do yourself.)
It's much more convenient than breaking down on the highway.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:29 AM   #3
tom3
AF Enthusiast

Well, we bought a brand new Blazer back in 01. At 13,000 miles it started leaking coolant inside the engine. Took back to dealer and they wouldn't even check it. "No need to come back, take to local dealer and they'll refill it when needed, no charge." This was the selling dealer that had done all the routine service to then. Took to the more local dealer, they checked it out for two days, put some of GM's magic sawdust pills in the radiator. "All fixed, no charge sir." GM "wasn't there." How does this company stay in business?
tom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
IS THAT A HEMI???
AF Newbie

i dont know, me and my buddy were fixing a caddy the rad was damn near shot. it took 14-1 gal milk jugs & 4 bottles of rad flush just to get the water to come clear out the other end. then the thermostat got stuck. another one of my friends has a honda crx and he has alot of performance parts on it, when his car was overheating he was in the getto and dident want his stuff stolen so he drove it home. his rad blew, fluid got in his block/ cracked block rings piston all gone. aint that a bitch!!
IS THAT A HEMI??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:00 AM   #5
Hossain_Trance101
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Hossain_Trance101 Send a message via Yahoo to Hossain_Trance101

As MagicRat said, a radiator does not last more than 11 years b4 u hv to dump or bust it.

So true...This apparently happened to my Brother's old '87 Jag XJS.

Direct Port Nitrous Oxide System with Custom Blue base paint and decals. Rear Alluminium spoiler. Power Output: 700bhp
Hossain_Trance101 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Dealer Experiences