Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 07:12 PM   #1
midnightCowboy
AF Newbie

Talking Newbeeee18c enthusiest.

So im new hear, found the site today and signed up. I have a 95 civic hatchback getting ready for the almighty b18c swap. Is any owners out there with a b18c jdm in a 95 civic cx model can tell me if i can get away with the stock brakes for awhile, or a minimal upgrade? ohh yea catch the new issue of sport compact car with a is300 on the cover, get JDM article. Peace!
Old 03-13-2002, 08:33 PM   #2
Beyond Imagination
AF Fanatic

Welcome to AF!!
I'm sure you can go with stock brakes but of course it's recommended that you upgrade them for some for stopping power ...
Old 03-13-2002, 09:28 PM   #3
Phr0st
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Phr0st
If you're going to be racing (which I'm assuming your going to do since your dropping in a B18c), you might want to look into a pair of of cross drilled and/or slotted rotors along with some performance brake pads. The cross drilling and slotting will help dissipate heat better and prevent break fade, in addition to stopping your car on a dime.

However, expect to spend a good amount of money for a decent braking system alot of "performance brakes" are really cheap and unreliable and just ride the "cross drilled and slotted" marketing wave. I think this month's Sport Compact Car has an article with an extensive review of the latest braking systems and pads. Might wanna check that out. Hope this helps
Old 03-23-2002, 10:37 AM   #4
90CRXZCSi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to 90CRXZCSi Send a message via Yahoo to 90CRXZCSi
I've actually heard that cross drilled and/or slotted rotors are a waste of money. I guess they crack to easily or somethin. If you want some nice rotors then try to look for the GSR rotors(all 4) and at least you will have 4 wheel disk unless you want to grab the ABS out of it too. Then you wont waste money on "performance brakes".
90CRXZCSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 10:57 AM   #5
5_LiTeR_EaTeR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 5_LiTeR_EaTeR
Yeah cross drilled/slotted rotors are a waste. They should only be for show. being crossed drilled and slotted makes the rotors very weak and fragile. I would just go with crossed drilled or just slotted. I like the crossed drilled ones better though becasue i think they vent better and are prone to brake fade more than the slotted ones.
5_LiTeR_EaTeR is offline   Reply With Quote