Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 06:19 PM   #1
dduncan15
AF Newbie

Unhappy Stuck and dont know what to do......HELP...

OK IT ALL STARTED ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO....everytime i changed gears it would idal high like i was holding in the cluch and giving it gas.. I just thought my clutch was going out and still not sure if it was but anyway i was driving home friday and every gear went ok but when i went from fourth to fifth nothing happend the shifter had nothing but play in it and i was stuck in fourth gear. so i got home and i have had to replace one of the shifter cables before so i just thought that was it but i was wrong. everything seems still in place and nothing seems broke when i took apart the consoul on the shifter. the other thing i foung strange is the two arms that come off of the trans the bottom one moves but the top one seems stuck. shouldnt it move ??? i am lost if anyone has had this happend or just knows what the deal is PLEASE let me know......its a 97 sl1 5 speed
dduncan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:19 PM   #2
Irish80ca
AF Newbie

Re: Stuck and dont know what to do......HELP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduncan15
OK IT ALL STARTED ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO....everytime i changed gears it would idal high like i was holding in the cluch and giving it gas.. I just thought my clutch was going out and still not sure if it was but anyway i was driving home friday and every gear went ok but when i went from fourth to fifth nothing happend the shifter had nothing but play in it and i was stuck in fourth gear. so i got home and i have had to replace one of the shifter cables before so i just thought that was it but i was wrong. everything seems still in place and nothing seems broke when i took apart the consoul on the shifter. the other thing i foung strange is the two arms that come off of the trans the bottom one moves but the top one seems stuck. shouldnt it move ??? i am lost if anyone has had this happend or just knows what the deal is PLEASE let me know......its a 97 sl1 5 speed

I wish I could help with this to fix the problem before a bigger one happens. All I can tell you is that I had the exact same things haapen to my 2001 SC2 and the dealer told me to replace the clutch. They where wrong because the problems where still there and shortly after the differential pin broke blowing my tranny to hell. The dealer said it was caused by "wheelspin". Basically saying I got stuck in the snow which never happened.

Check the pin!!!! I'd hate for anyone else to be in this boat if it's avoidable.
Irish80ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:55 PM   #3
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

Re: Stuck and dont know what to do......HELP...

don't worry, this isn't diff pin related.

the top cable relates to the left/right movement of the shifter. the bottom calbe relates to the up/down movement of the shifter. therefor, the top arm will only move when the bottom arm is in the middle. the shift innerlock makes this a requirement.(think of it this way, you can't shift from 4th to 2nd, you need to shift into neutral first) if with the cables disconnected and the bottom lever in neutral, the top lever does not move, then chances are you have an internal tranmission problem.
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW