Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 02:29 PM   #1
fastk
AF Newbie

Noise problem

I have 97 Malibu and fixed number of problems and here we go again...
I am starting to hear faint metallic hi-pitch sound when I step on the gas but if I don't accelerate the car noise is gone while driving.
At first I was suspecting water pump so I tried this, put the gear on neutral and step on the gas to find out noise is still there but there are no hi-pitch sound.
I think this noise came from the power transfer assembly such as bearing or transmission. Is there anyone who had same problem?
I have changed transmission oil and filter from the dealer two month ago and they said there are no problems with transmission.
Please help.
fastk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:04 PM   #2
gliter
AF Newbie

I have this same problem... but it's in my '02... anyone have any ideas?
gliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 10:11 PM   #3
TheBU
AF Newbie

Re: Noise problem

Hmmm i have like a simaliar problem...but my hi pitch noise is while its idling and it some times goes away if i turn the a/c on.....but its winter.....and its cold as it is...
TheBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 09:55 AM   #4
gapboi210
AF Enthusiast

I have noticed it too. It is the a/c clutch on mine. When you turn on the a/c it acts like a magnet and pulls the a/c clutch together and turns the a/c compressor. When you turn off the a/c it releases the clutch and the compressor quits turning. Sometimes the clutch can get dirty and not fully release and it will cause that sound. Just sprayed mine with some WD-40 and it cleaned the gunk out and took care of it.
gapboi210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 09:56 AM   #5
gliter
AF Newbie

Cool

I had my fuel filter changed this weekend, and much of the sounds emitting from my vehicle have gone away. The mechanic also looked for any other causes, and discovered that I had bent a heater coil/rod or something like that, and it was rubbing against my muffler (ran over a rock in driveway). So he bent it away from the muffler, and no sounds anymore... Yay!
gliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:44 PM   #6
TheBU
AF Newbie

Re: Noise problem

hmm where is the AC thing located
i am going to thow a whole thing of oil all over my engin and stuff in like 2 days if it doesnt stop lol
TheBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:18 PM   #7
gapboi210
AF Enthusiast

A/C compressor is on passanger side very front bottom. Also I had a squeeking that is the alternator bearings. Dealership said the squeeking I had after it rained was the bearings going bad. Says it is the beginning of the end for the alternator but warranty wont fix it since it is still charging. well I can fix that! I will just play innocent and say i don't know what the &uck happened to that alternator or why it stopped charging. If it is under warranty, just start breaking stuff that u think it might be and get all new stuff. Great idea huh?
gapboi210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 06:55 PM   #8
fastk
AF Newbie

Unhappy Found the problem

Hi all,

I was waiting for this noise problem to get worse so that I can find the source and now noise was coming from power steering pump pulley bearing. I wasn't clear until this noise are louder and constant. Now I can hear the noise right after I start the engine.

The dealer shop said they will take the old one back for $25 credit. The problem is the pulley, I need special tool to remove and install. The dealer agrees to do just that for me under $20.

Many people reports that this kind of sounds can be came from anyware like belt tensioner, alternator, water pump and power steering pump.

Mine turns out to be power steering pump...
fastk is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu