Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 10:24 PM   #1
bbroberts
AF Newbie

2001 monte carlo ss noise in frt end

i have a 2001 mc ss and it has a noise in frt end feels like in the steering column but not sure. any one heard of this or had one fixed???????
bbroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:36 AM   #2
yeldem
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 monte carlo ss noise in frt end

I have a 2000 mc ss and I have the same issue...I have had it at the dealership a couple times and they cannot tell me what it is. Please advise if enyone knows.........
yeldem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:51 AM   #3
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

what kind of noise? (clunk, rubbing, growl, etc...) and does it vary with speed or only occur while turning? Give us a little more info so we can help.
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:51 PM   #4
bbroberts
AF Newbie

happens when turning either way, can feel in steering column and brake pedal when slowing and turning also. doesn't matter with speed or foward or backward will do it.
bbroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 05:01 PM   #5
MonteCarlo2001
AF Newbie

Check the fluid level of your power steering. It's a pain in the butt to get to but mine was giving the creaking sound when I turned and hit the brakes. Looked into it and it was completely dry. Don't think it had ever been filled. They check the fluid levels at the dealership during and oil change...my ass! I had just gotten one and I started getting that noise. Have fun finding the thing. If you give up, let me know. Hint: Have to take the cross-stabilizer off.
MonteCarlo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:03 AM   #6
cdy
AF Newbie

I have the same problem in my 2000 mc ss and was told by the dealer that the wrong thickness of oil was used in the steering column from the manufacturer. I noticed that the warmer the weather is, the worser it gets. It's hardly noticeable in the winter. I was told that this won't harm anything, which I kind of find hard to believe with the way it vibrates.
cdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 08:11 AM   #7
Lubricant
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lubricant Send a message via AIM to Lubricant Send a message via Yahoo to Lubricant

When I brake and go over very small bumps, I can feel it in the brakes and steering column also..
I belive it to just be some breakin on the front axle joints.. Nothing serious, but I would change it proactivly at 70 thousand miles.. Ya dont want that breaking on ya when yer driving.. Can drop the whole front of the car, or have dangerous things flying out of the bottom of the car..

Or, it can just be the clamp that holds the column to the firewall is a little loose.
Lubricant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 03:34 AM   #8
Seoulroller
AF Newbie

SS Front end noise

I got a 02 Monte SS and had the same problem with the noises, 10,000 miles. I thought it was the steering column but couldn't be sure. It sounded like when moving slowly, turning and going over small bumps while moving slowly, braking or any combination, that it was clunking, knocking or loose. The car drove straight, braked straight and turned properly.
I took it in and the shop said the front end was shot. They replaced the ABS ???, steering column, intermediate shaft, pads, calipers and rotors with several bushings/bearings. I was shocked why so many parts. It runs great now. I never abused the car and have always babied it.
If you have this problem, raise cain until they fix it for you. I have heard others say it's normal for the Monte. I say garbage! No car with mileage that low should ever sound like that.

Seoulroller
Seoulroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 02:27 PM   #9
monte01
AF Newbie

Re: SS Front end noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoulroller
I got a 02 Monte SS and had the same problem with the noises, 10,000 miles. I thought it was the steering column but couldn't be sure. It sounded like when moving slowly, turning and going over small bumps while moving slowly, braking or any combination, that it was clunking, knocking or loose. The car drove straight, braked straight and turned properly.
I took it in and the shop said the front end was shot. They replaced the ABS ???, steering column, intermediate shaft, pads, calipers and rotors with several bushings/bearings. I was shocked why so many parts. It runs great now. I never abused the car and have always babied it.
If you have this problem, raise cain until they fix it for you. I have heard others say it's normal for the Monte. I say garbage! No car with mileage that low should ever sound like that.

Seoulroller
The 2001 Monte has a problem with the mid-shaft in the steering. Sounds like you have that problem. The dealer will remove the shaft and pack it with some million dollar lube. It will cost about $70.00 to repair. It's a common problem. Good luck! You'll do it again about 40,000 miles later too.
monte01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:43 AM   #10
Daymack
AF Newbie

Re: Re: SS Front end noise

It is the Intermediate Steering Shaft. There is a technical service bulletin on it and you should have the shaft replaced with a redesigned shaft.
Daymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:08 PM   #11
b4davis
AF Newbie

Replace the intermediate steering shaft. The shaft has a U-joint on both ends and if the it feels like a knuckle popping when you turn the wheel, one of joints is bad. The TSB suggests a lube kit, but if yours is like mine, that did not loosen the joint.
b4davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 12:01 AM   #12
montecarlossfan
AF Regular

same prob when i bought my 2000, they just hafta lube the steering midshafts n such
montecarlossfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 09:14 PM   #13
dirk1843
AF Newbie

I had/have the same problem with my 2000. The ISS (intermediate steering shaft) was replaced under warranty around 25k. Had to have it "relubed" around 60k. Just a tick over 90k now and it is at it again. I talked to one of the GM dealers we buy from, and they are telling me the ISS has be redisgned to stop the clunk. Can anyone confirm this either way?? I have to pull it out to relube it, but I will shell out the bucks if I can solve the problem once and for all.
dirk1843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:17 PM   #14
DAVENEWJERSEY
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2001 monte carlo ss noise in frt end

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843
I had/have the same problem with my 2000. The ISS (intermediate steering shaft) was replaced under warranty around 25k. Had to have it "relubed" around 60k. Just a tick over 90k now and it is at it again. I talked to one of the GM dealers we buy from, and they are telling me the ISS has be redisgned to stop the clunk. Can anyone confirm this either way?? I have to pull it out to relube it, but I will shell out the bucks if I can solve the problem once and for all.
I have a similar problem with my 2001 Impala.
It is missing/defective sub frame welding.
DAVENEWJERSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:02 PM   #15
DAVENEWJERSEY
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 2001 monte carlo ss noise in frt end

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVENEWJERSEY
I have a similar problem with my 2001 Impala.
It is missing/defective sub frame welding.
This is a very common problem with Impala's and Monte Carlo.
It is often mis diagnosed however {to GM profit} as Steering shaft problems.
General Motors has replaced many of the aluminum sub frames, untill they came up with a cheaper fix: applying a liquid locktite material {super glue?} over the defective welds!
The noise when turning the steering wheel while at very slow speed or even while stopped, is from defective welding which causes flexing and metal to metal at the points under the welds.
Also reported were missing verticle welds.
Anyone aware of accidents involving IMPALA OR MONTE CARLO should be informed.
Call GM also at toll free 866 942 4368 extension 45422.
DAVENEWJERSEY is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo