Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 11:14 PM   #1
DingleTwit
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to DingleTwit Send a message via Yahoo to DingleTwit
Compatable Transmissions?

I have a 1998 3.8L Windstar, and when I changed the transmission fluid I put in Dex III instead of V. Major mistake. So now the transmission doesn't go forward in 1, 2, or D, but reverse still works. If anyone has any idea how to fix that, that'd be great. But the real reason I'm posting here is to see if anyone knows if any other transmissions will work for my Windstar. It's a regular old AX4D transmission, so would a transmission from a Taurus work? If so, what year Taurus? My friend has a 94 Taurus and it looks like the same thing, except it has a cork pan gasket instead of the plastic one the Windstar has. Finding a 98 Windstar with an intact transmission in the junkyard is far from likely, so I want to see if I can pull the tranny from something else and drop it in without any snags.
DingleTwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:05 AM   #2
DRW1000
AF Enthusiast

Re: Compatable Transmissions?

I have heard that using Mercon (Dex111) in a tranny that requires Mercon V can do some serious transmission damage. I hope that isn't your case.

I thought that the change to Mercon V did not occur until 99.
DRW1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:10 AM   #3
sahib
AF Enthusiast

Most salvage yards (the upscale ones anyway) will have a cross reference chart telling them what will interchange with what. It isn't fool proof though. Some things will cross but because of some little gizmo that could be removed or added it will indicate a non usable status. Always nice to hear from someone who has done the deed though. Maybe someone will be along with more help.
sahib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:17 AM   #4
sahib
AF Enthusiast

Here's something I found on Google after reading DRW 1000 post. I don't know hoe the chart is going to appear but the text may be of help.

Ford Fluid Applications 1997 - 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1997 Ford introduced the new Mercon V (Mercon 5 ) (MV) transmission fluid. Mercon V was designed to improve friction material stability, prevent torque converter clutch chatter and lower overall operating temperature, including shift temperature.

Ford units that require Mercon V (much like Chrysler and Honda transmissions that require HFM fluid) are part of an integral transmission/transmission fluid calibration package.

Purchasing Mercon V from Ford is very expensive. Fortunately LUBEGARD has developed a supplement which converts Dexron III or Mercon fluid to Mercon V properties. LUBEGARD Platinum supplement converts Dexron III or Mercon fluid to Chrysler and Honda HFM fluid properties and Dexron III or Mercon fluid to Mercon V properties.

Transmission
2001-up

AXODE AX4S
M V
M V
M V
M V
M V

AX4N 4F50N
Mercon
M V
M V
M V
M V

CD4E
Mercon
Mercon
Mercon
Mercon
Mercon

F4E-III
Mercon
Mercon
Mercon
Mercon
Mercon

GF4A-EL
Mercon
Mercon
Mercon
Mercon
Mercon

4F20E
Mercon
Mercon
Mercon
Mercon
Mercon

4F27E

M V
M V
M V

4R44/55E
M V
M V
M V
M V
M V

5R55E
M V
M V
M V
M V
M V

5R55N/W

M V
M V

4R70W
Mercon
M V
M V
M V
M V

4R100
Mercon
Mercon
Mercon
Mercon
Mer
sahib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:38 AM   #5
ModMech
AF Enthusiast

As I recall, the trans dipstick on our '98 reads "Use Mercon V oil ONLY".

I would just change out the Dexron III for Mercon V and see what happens. Most likely, if it's not been in there a long time, you will be ok.

BTW, adding "Lubeguard" to Dexron/Mercon DOES NOT make it equivelant to Mercon V. It ONLY alters the friction charecteristics of the Dexron/Mercon to those *similar to* Mercon V. Mercon V is at the very least a "semi-syhtnetic" ATF, meaning it's an engineered fluid and vastly superior to a non-synthetic for heat tolerance and viscosity.

There is no such thing as "tune up in a can".
ModMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 11:41 AM   #6
DingleTwit
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to DingleTwit Send a message via Yahoo to DingleTwit

This is the second transmission this van has had. The original one had pretty much the exact same problem at about 75K miles. I don't know if there was anything recently done around then (like transmission fluid changed), but I've heard from a lot of people that the Windstars had transmission problems pretty much always. I suppose it won't cost me that much to try changing the fluid to the right kind, and if it works..great ;-) Otherwise, more research into swapping the tranny out.
DingleTwit is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar