Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 06:02 PM   #1
sleepyhead
AF Newbie

Question drivebelt replacement, is it a DIY job?

Hi all, I am wondering whether someone out there has ever tried to replace the old drivebelt. Any tricks, good/bad experience to share with the community? It looks simple as there is a route map printed on the engine. I have also read how to adjust the tension of the belt. But, before having gone too far, I'd better collect your advice because I may need a tow truck if I fail to replace it correctly. Thanks, have a great weekend.
sleepyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
ModMech
AF Enthusiast

Re: drivebelt replacement, is it a DIY job?

Um, all Windstars use a serpintine belt with an automatic tensioner.

Replacement is VERY easy, if you have a wrench that you can use on the tensioner. Now, there are two kinds, and depending on wether or not your tensioner has been changed, it could be either. One has a 3/8" square hole to insert the drive end of a 3/8" ratchet wrench into, and the other type simply uses the pulley bolt to put a box-end wrench on. When the wrench is in place, you push the tensioner to loosen the belt, and slip the belt off wherever you can reach. Installation is reverse of removal.
ModMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 03:06 PM   #3
road_rascal
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to road_rascal
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you could use a 1/2" breaker bar or driver on these tensioners.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 03:38 PM   #4
ModMech
AF Enthusiast

Some are 3/8", and others are 1/2". I have seen both on vehicles of the same year. Do not know if that was bacsue of replacement, or vendor differencs.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:28 PM   #5
sleepyhead
AF Newbie

Thanks for the instructions. I will have a try before I set off for my across-state journeys.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:20 PM   #6
sleepyhead
AF Newbie

The trick provided by ModTeck is proven to worth more than $150 in 5 min for every single use (I called a Ford dealer for a quote and the mechanic told me to consider it at $180-200 for belt replacement, I end up with getting the belt from their store at $35, but put it on by myself). Thanks so much, guys!

To make it more clear to others who may want to replace the drivebelt at their backyards, I shall tell you one does need a long handle wrench to depress/release the tensioner with great ease. I got one set of drivebelt tools on loan from Autozone. It's excellent. In my case (3.8L, 96), the wrench head is 15mm. I was somehow confused with all the seven pulleys at a glance and did not know which one is the tensioner pulley. Now I know I should look for the one with belt length marks, or the one far in the back under the hood (3.8L model at least).

Finally, I would recommend everybody else with an aged drivebelt to open the hood and replace it asap since I spotted two sites of through cracks on the old belt and it is about to break down at any time to make a big bang which will probably severely damage these "organs" under the hood.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:49 AM   #7
ModMech
AF Enthusiast

A serpentine belt is "ok" untill it has all the "grooves" split/cracked straight accross more than once in an inch of length, or until it is missing "chunks" of groove.

I typically see a 6-7 year service life on belts, and 7-10 on hoses. It's not at all uncommon for even 15 year old Ford products to have the FACTORY hoses still installed and in perfectly serviceable condition.

Why do the "shops" tell you to replace this or that sooner than the manufacturer suggests? Because that's all they know HOW to do, they have little if any training in how to truely identify what is "bad" and what is normal wear. They have even LESS interest in knowing, because they are hoping to gently scare you into performing unecessary parts replacements. Good for them, bad for you.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar