Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 11:18 PM   #1
neumeisterwd
AF Regular

Clay Bar!

I decided to try a clay bar to get fall out off. It is amazing. I have to rub the paint quit a bit but it eventually comes off. I was wondering if the clay can remove paint if you do not use lubricant.
neumeisterwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 02:35 PM   #2
saturnsc2
AF Regular

Re: Clay Bar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neumeisterwd
I decided to try a clay bar to get fall out off. It is amazing. I have to rub the paint quit a bit but it eventually comes off. I was wondering if the clay can remove paint if you do not use lubricant.
i doubt it, but it could sctatch the paint if no lube is used. anyway, it's so much easier to use the lube with the clay....
saturnsc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 02:54 PM   #3
mospeed1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mospeed1
no lube the clay will kindda smear and stick to the car.....the bar does remove overspray
mospeed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:44 PM   #4
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Yes it does remove light overspray, tar, light traffic line paint.

I suggest breaking new clay bars into 3 section & work with section at a time. Keep 2 for clean work & 1 for dirty work(overspary, tar, etc.) If the bar does fall on the ground THROW IT AWAY. It will pick up every little pebble/debris on the ground - not so good to rub paint with that.

Using a clay bar dry can scratch paint. Always use it wet with lube or plain water.
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 04:56 PM   #5
4ss4s1n
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to 4ss4s1n

Ive been looking to buy one of these.How much do they cost.Sadly,they dont sell them at my local auto zone.
4ss4s1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 10:53 AM   #6
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Depends how good of a quality in clay you want. Our shop sells a $20 and $40. I honestly think they work about the same, so I just use the $20. You might be able to find cheaper. Someone even mentioned they found clay really cheap in the automotive section in walmart. Again, I don't know that quality of that. If you can't find them at your local car parts store, 2 suggestions. 1) try ordering them online, you'll probably be able to find a good deal. 2) go to a local dealership, and find out where their detailing shop is, and if they have a seperate accessories store. We have one above our detailing bays which sells rims, lights, and other accessories and it sells all you need to keep your car looking good too; clay, wax and buffing pads, etc.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 07:36 PM   #7
Markgase2000
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Markgase2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by neumeisterwd
Youd never remove paint with a clay bar unless the paint is chipping or bubbling, it just wont move if not lubricated and will just come off on the finish in streaks. Best thing to remove fallout is a product called FUTURE WASH , you apply it the same way you apply car soap only you let it dry then nutralize it with line soap and rinse.I used at least 20 different products and I find future wash is a reveloutionary product. I never NEVER!!!! do a power polish without using a clay bar first. Removing fallout this way is unconventional cus clay bars wear down the paint surface like super fine sandpaper (leaves dull spottys on the paint revealing high spots) and it needs alot of work after. PH balanced car soap is the best clay lube.
Markgase2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:48 PM   #8
saturnsc2
AF Regular

is it possible to use playdough? it is clay too. or is the automotive clay designed to be very pure (abrasive free) or something to that nature?
Old 06-24-2004, 07:48 PM   #9
Markgase2000
AF Enthusiast

no sorry thats not clay thats dough
Old 06-24-2004, 10:05 PM   #10
Thourun
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Thourun
.... playdough! Omg that stuff is all artificial no clay in it! I believe that the clay would be screened somehow to get out any of the larger clay particles.
Thourun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 08:52 AM   #11
Markgase2000
AF Enthusiast

The auto clay is available in different gritt I guess you could call it. The softer the clay the less agressive it is. Cleaning the paint really well is necessary before rubing on it with clay to remove harsh tree sap or swapped paint. I use real hard clay on any type of paint instead of having different kinds all over I just apply different amounts of pressure on different types of paint.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:28 PM   #12
saturnsc2
AF Regular

i just used a claybar on my car this weekend for the first time. it is awesome! i never seen anything like it! my whole car is as smooth as glass, & the amazing thing is that the clay still looks like brand new! it's so wierd how it works. claybars will be new tools in my car care aresonal for now on!
Old 06-28-2004, 08:37 AM   #13
Markgase2000
AF Enthusiast

Its an awesome product for removing hard core contaminents like cement and baked on treesaps. If you rub agressively it slightly fades the paint and creates a leopard spot kinda looking finish. If I were to use the light soft clay it wouldnt do that , softer the less likely it will wear down the clear but the less likely it will remove the rough stuff , I use the hardest clay I can get it removes everything but always dulls the finish (I want it too) it just depends on how you get comfortable doing it.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:54 PM   #14
saturnsc2
AF Regular

Re: Re: Clay Bar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgase2000
Its an awesome product for removing hard core contaminents like cement and baked on treesaps. If you rub agressively it slightly fades the paint and creates a leopard spot kinda looking finish. If I were to use the light soft clay it wouldnt do that , softer the less likely it will wear down the clear but the less likely it will remove the rough stuff , I use the hardest clay I can get it removes everything but always dulls the finish (I want it too) it just depends on how you get comfortable doing it.
for the majority of the car, it took just light pressure to clean the surface & make it satin smooth. the areas where there was a lot of fallout, & contamination, it took moderate pressure to remove it. if use a lot of lube, there is no problem & it works good. i looked over the car very carefully afterwards, & there is no sign of scratching/paint removal, spots. you can do damage to the surface with ordinary wax/sealants if done without care. i'm happy with the results. i previously used tar & bug remover & scrubbed the hell out of the car to remove what the clay did with no effort required. i think the clay is 100% safe on the paint especially with the detailing lube. i used the mother's yellow clay bar/lube package & it works like a charm a excellent product & i would recommend it to anyone....
Old 06-30-2004, 09:53 PM   #15
Markgase2000
AF Enthusiast

no its not 100% safe sorry to argue , it grabs solid particles and drags them across the paint particles that you can or cant see. I used it almost every day for 5 years. Sounds like you do a good gentle job tho thats cool.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General