Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive News Desk
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
Q_6971
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Q_6971
Unhappy need help tymin a 350

i have a 350 wit a gm HO cam an a msd igntion system an i have adnavce weights but i dont have a good tymin light an i have tymed it just by feel an need help to now the degrees i should use any help is good thanx
Q_6971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 05:23 AM   #2
Doug Rodrigues
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Doug Rodrigues
This is a tough one: Did you put on distributor "Curve Kit" advanced weights? They come with different tensioned springs. You need to use a strobe timing light to properly time the engine. Without a timing light, you won't be able to see if the curve kit is advancing the timing at too low of an engine speed or not advancing the timing fast enough. If it's advancing the timing too fast, you may have to time the engine at a lower than normal idle speed to compensate for the advance, and then increase to normal idle speed and disregard what the timing looks like at that normal idle speed. If I remember correctly the basic timing is 8 degrees advanced, but I could be wrong. You'll still need a timing light to determine if you are getting the total advance at high RPM which should be about 28 to 35 degrees. That depends what your engine is set up for. Once you get away from a stock engine, ANYTHING is possible. You can mark the 28 to 35 degree mark on the crank pulley with dabs of paint OR use one of those timing lights with the adjustable knob that will flash at TDC when 28 to 35 degrees is achieved while you rev the engine. This is more important than setting your basic timing at idle. But as I mentioned, without a timing light you won't be able to see if the advance was already taking place at low idle speed. If that was the case, your total advance wouldn't be enough for full power and best gas mileage. What timing total advance does the camshaft manufacturer recommend?

Last edited by Doug Rodrigues; 05-09-2004 at 12:37 PM.
Doug Rodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive News Desk