Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 09:50 PM   #1
binder
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to binder
Question Old Goldwing ????s

1976 GL1000...Low miles,starts nice,BUT runs erratic...Sombody changed the original breaker point system and put in an aftermarket electronic system....I'm sure my problem is in the ignition...Anybody know where I can find the original breaker plate and components? OR explain to me just how my system works? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated....
binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 05:36 AM   #2
Elrod on the V-Rod
AF Newbie

Re: Old Goldwing ????s

Here in central Fl Earls cycle speicializes in older bikes.give um a call @ 352-629-3166

Elrod on the V-Rod
Elrod on the V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 01:31 PM   #3
binder
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to binder
Thanks for the tip! VROD
binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
wanger3
AF Newbie

Angry Re: Old Goldwing ????s

I have been restoring a 78 GL1000 since March of 2006. I thought I had all the problems solved last week when I found a shorted out wire harness and replaced the rectifier. I had also recently put on a brand new set of GL1100 carbs set up for the 1000, but when I went to try to start the bike the engine was locked up. I have sprayed penitrating oil in the cylinders and can't get the engine to turn over. How bad is it going to hurt this motor to roll it off in 3rd or 4th gear and try to free up the engine? At this point I'm about willing to try anything, outside of taking the engine apart. I WANT TO RIDE THE BIKE and every time I get one thing fixed, something else goes wrong. HELP!!!!!!
wanger3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Re: Old Goldwing ????s

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanger3
I have been restoring a 78 GL1000 since March of 2006. I thought I had all the problems solved last week when I found a shorted out wire harness and replaced the rectifier. I had also recently put on a brand new set of GL1100 carbs set up for the 1000, but when I went to try to start the bike the engine was locked up. I have sprayed penitrating oil in the cylinders and can't get the engine to turn over. How bad is it going to hurt this motor to roll it off in 3rd or 4th gear and try to free up the engine? At this point I'm about willing to try anything, outside of taking the engine apart. I WANT TO RIDE THE BIKE and every time I get one thing fixed, something else goes wrong. HELP!!!!!!
You tried turning it over with a wrench, to verify it's not just the starter that got hung? The starters were prone to jamming and welding bearings from overheating especially if you cranked it for more than 10 seconds or so..

I had an old Goldie, 1981, that someone gave me. Great bike but a money pit. I don't think I rode it 1000 miles, the stator shorted, had to pull the motor out to replace it, then the clutch cable broke, the air shocks blew a seal, the timing belt slipped, the starter burnt up...etc..etc...I finally gave it away to save my sanity, after wasting about $800 and countless hours of my time on it...

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote