Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 09:27 AM   #1
Todd inMA
AF Newbie

1999 Windstar Power steering fluid leak

My power steering fluid is leaking... I know this because I fill up the reservoir and after about 20 miles +/- of driving, the power steering groans and the fluid level is down.

Where are the obvious places to check for leaks? I don't see anything obvious in the engine compartment, nor any fluid dripping under the car when parked in my garage or idling.

This minivan has ~110,000 miles on it.

If the fluid level is right, the power steering works fine and doesn't make any noise, so I think the pump/power steering is fine.

I just need to find the source of the leak and repair it, if possible.

Thanks for any help on this.
Todd inMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:11 AM   #2
lewisnc100
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1999 Windstar Power steering fluid leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd inMA
My power steering fluid is leaking... I know this because I fill up the reservoir and after about 20 miles +/- of driving, the power steering groans and the fluid level is down.

Where are the obvious places to check for leaks? I don't see anything obvious in the engine compartment, nor any fluid dripping under the car when parked in my garage or idling.

If the fluid level is right, the power steering works fine and doesn't make any noise, so I think the pump/power steering is fine.

There is a TSB on power steering fluid leaks from the end seals, unfortunately the TSB calls for replacement of the steering gear with a revised version.
lewisnc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 01:28 PM   #3
SRamsey625
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd inMA

Todd: How is your steering? Mine did the same thing about 2 years ago (leaking fluid) I pulled into my ex-wifes driveway and it dumped the P/S fluid everywhere. Sweet irony huh? Anyway, the rack had to be changed. I think something happened to it while it was a rental and don't think it was mfr's fault. If that's the case, don't do it yourself. Spend the $1000 bucks and let a pro do it. It took him all day and he had everything to do the job.
SRamsey625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:27 PM   #4
ModMech
AF Enthusiast

If there are no visible leaks externally, it is possible (and likely) that the fluid is being expelled from the P/S reservoir vent hole. This is usually caused by: a) the level getting too low, b) it being filled, c) but too late as it is "air bound".

If you shut it off, and after a minute or two look in the reservoir and see thousands of small bubbles, that's your problem. To "fix" this, you need to fully bleed the system. Since there is no "air bleed" built in, the only way to do it is fill the reservoir, run it for a minute then let is sit for 10-15 minutes (repeat until there are no more bubbles, and the level does not drop below the min mark). DO NOT turn the steering wheel while doing this, it will only make it worse.
ModMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 01:39 PM   #5
SRamsey625
AF Newbie

Todd: This is a long shot but here's a question.

Do you do your own brakes?
If so, you probably turn the steering wheel to position the disk for easier access to rear of the calipers. When you do, you want to start the engine first to turn the wheel even though it is off the ground and not difficult to turn manually. I did it the first brake job I did without thinking. It will blow some fluid out of the reservoir and suck air at the same time. As you turn, the wheel feels "grabby" when turning left or straightening out from a right turn or counterclockwise. (could be the other way around. been a while since it's happened). Your basically working around the P/S pump and it doesn't like that. The fix is to add fluid to the right level and cycle the steering. (make sure the cap is in place) Any remaining air will eventually work itself out as you drive.
SRamsey625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 07:04 AM   #6
adbradley
AF Newbie

My steering rack wasn't leaking at idle either. It would push all the fluid out as I was driving because the seals on the ends of the rack were bad. Have someone turn the wheels as it is idling and look at the ends of the rack bellows. I bet you'll see your fuid leaking there.
I changed my rack out myself. It took the better part of a Sunday, but the rack was only $200 at Autozone and it has a lifetime warranty. It was one of the more labor-intensive repairs I've done, but it's not impossible. Plus, if I save $800, it was well worth it...
adbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
zacksmith
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: 1999 Windstar Power steering fluid leak

I'm not sure why but my p/s fluid looks like used motor oil!
what would cause this? and should i just drain and refill the fluid?
zacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote