Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 10:39 PM   #1
romoranger
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to romoranger
2.5 liter rs vs 2.2 liter anyother

hey guys, i am getting an imprezza, just not sure if i should get 2.5 liter rs, or any other imprezza with a 2.2 liter engine. which ever one i am getting, i am totally rebuilding the engine, ;and in time trhowwing on a turbo+intercooler. i was just wondering if any of you guys knew if the extra .3 liters is really worth it with what i am doing, or woth an average of 3k-4k extra for used.
Old 01-20-2002, 06:59 PM   #2
Ballistic
AF Newbie

I am presented w/ the same choice as you and have been debating over the 2.5 and wrx for about three months and have finally decided on the 2.5. Why? well i am going for max power and definately think the extra .3 liters is worth it. Think of it in honda terms for a sec...honda civic 1.6 pretty f-ing slow...acura integra gsr pretty fast and alot more horsepower and that is w/ only .2L difference. Now you can't make the same comparisson w/ the 2,5 and wrx because one is turbo charged, but if you were to put the same sized turbo on each motor then obviously you see which will be faster. Now in my case i am looking for a great deal of power and was woried about the 2.5's open deck design being a weakness, but thanks to the great people over at I-Club.com's thread about this same issue informed me that there will always be a stronger design but if the one you are using hasn't been known to fail then there isn't a problem. So basically there is no conclusive evidence that says you can't run high boost high power in a EJ25. I am in no way affiliated w/ i-club but after reading your poste i must say that you are going to be presented w/ a very complicated and expensive project and want you to under stand what exactly you need to do so i highly recommend going to i-club.com and reading through their Aftermarket Forced-Induction forum. Peace and good luck
Ballistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 08:18 PM   #3
Oz
Aussie Mod

Send a message via AIM to Oz
Please, don't show your ignorance. There are MANY more factors in engine design that determine power rather than just capacity. Did you consider bore VS stroke, compression ratios, camshaft profiles, number of cams per cylinder bank, injector rates, retarded ingition etc. The list goes on. And as for the Honda 1.6 litre engine being slow? Let's be a little more specific. If your talking about the ZC series engine, then I will agree. It's just anaverage 1.6. However, if you were referring to the B16A, fuck off. It had THE BEST power/litre ratio for 8 years!! And even then it was only overtaken by ANOTHER HONDA! So please, if you're going to spout 'knowledge' at least make sure you clearly earmark what is your opinion and what if fact. Peace. Oz.
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 09:23 PM   #4
Liqid Oxygen
AF Newbie

well, if you are going to turbo/intercool, and all that good stuff. i would get the 2.5rs, mostly because it has the hood scoop, and you can add a top mount intercooler. I heard that was supposed to be better than a regular one....maybe even get an Sti intercooler.....Plus the RS looks a lot better than the 2.2
Liqid Oxygen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 02:22 AM   #5
Oz
Aussie Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Liqid Oxygen
well, if you are going to turbo/intercool, and all that good stuff. i would get the 2.5rs, mostly because it has the hood scoop, and you can add a top mount intercooler. I heard that was supposed to be better than a regular one....maybe even get an Sti intercooler.....Plus the RS looks a lot better than the 2.2
There is no way a top-mount intercooler is better than a front mount. Front mounts suffer less than .2psi pressure drop accross the whole surface. However, if you ike the scoop for aesthetics, use it for general engine cooling, CAI, brake cooling etc.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:14 AM   #6
Ballistic
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by ozriceboy
Please, don't show your ignorance. There are MANY more factors in engine design that determine power rather than just capacity. Did you consider bore VS stroke, compression ratios, camshaft profiles, number of cams per cylinder bank, injector rates, retarded ingition etc. The list goes on. And as for the Honda 1.6 litre engine being slow? Let's be a little more specific. If your talking about the ZC series engine, then I will agree. It's just anaverage 1.6. However, if you were referring to the B16A, fuck off. It had THE BEST power/litre ratio for 8 years!! And even then it was only overtaken by ANOTHER HONDA! So please, if you're going to spout 'knowledge' at least make sure you clearly earmark what is your opinion and what if fact. Peace. Oz.
Dude i really don't feel like getting into this right now or ever. Based on the hp ratings that the subaru 2.2 or 2.5 liter engines are going to be producing then yes the b16a is slow in comparison. Power/Liter terms then YES you have an awsome engine, but still slow in my terms. I was trying only to state the obvious, that the extra .3 liters will be gaining alot more power/pressure increase. That was all i was triing to get across!
Peace :monkeypis
Old 01-22-2002, 01:45 AM   #7
Oz
Aussie Mod

Let's agree to disagree. I think Honda pack a heap of technology that kills Subaru in pure engine design. Alloy heads etc.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:33 PM   #8
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
front mount intercooler less pressure drop true, but...

top mount=no obstructed radiator flow
top mount=no getting hit by rocks and other debris
top mount=less piping overall which means less lag

make mine a top mount!

and as for the engine size, all the higher hp imprezas use the 2.5, take the jun impreza for example, origionally a 2.0l wrx, swapped out in favor of the 2.5 i have a 2.5 myself and am very pleased with it, last night i beat a civic ex with nitrous and my car only has intake and exhaust.
LjasonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 02:01 AM   #9
Oz
Aussie Mod

I don't care about damage. If I did, I'd just put some bloddy strong mesh over it. Front wins. Well, actually, water cooled wins. So that settles it. :alien:
Old 02-07-2002, 07:39 AM   #10
ImportNut1212
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ImportNut1212
ok, get somethin straight everyone, the wrx IS NOT A 2.2 LITER ENGINE. its a 2.0 liter turbocharged and intercooled engine. and as for the 2.5....you might be waiting a damn long time before you can get a turbo or anything that would heavily increase HP. the market is focused on the WRX right now, and probably wont realize the 2.5 for a little bit. i would personally go with the 2.0 engine, its alot easier, and cheaper to get power out of that engine. and ozriceboy or whatever your name is, i've seen your posts around the website, and damn, you sure do have some kinda wild stick up your ass, your just bitter and rude to alot of people. your not the authority on cars, so calm down. but i digress....i would rather have the wrx and modify that. just my 2 cents though.
original tofu crew member #06

my car=95 240sx se w/ s14 sr20det

lUcAs-----
ImportNut1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 11:38 PM   #11
LjasonL
Some Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by ImportNut1212
and as for the 2.5....you might be waiting a damn long time before you can get a turbo or anything that would heavily increase HP. the market is focused on the WRX right now, and probably wont realize the 2.5 for a little bit.
hey guy, the market has been making stuff for the 2.5 since the previous generation 2.5rs came out. there is prob MORE stuff on the american market for the 2.5 than the 2.0 i have some previous gen parts on my car myself. and they do make a 2.2 liter wrx, the 22b sti. theres is also a 2.2 liter non turbo impreza, which is what i believe was being referred to here.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:27 AM   #12
Oz
Aussie Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by ImportNut1212
ok, get somethin straight everyone, the wrx IS NOT A 2.2 LITER ENGINE. its a 2.0 liter turbocharged and intercooled engine. and as for the 2.5....you might be waiting a damn long time before you can get a turbo or anything that would heavily increase HP. the market is focused on the WRX right now, and probably wont realize the 2.5 for a little bit. i would personally go with the 2.0 engine, its alot easier, and cheaper to get power out of that engine. and ozriceboy or whatever your name is, i've seen your posts around the website, and damn, you sure do have some kinda wild stick up your ass, your just bitter and rude to alot of people. your not the authority on cars, so calm down. but i digress....i would rather have the wrx and modify that. just my 2 cents though.
That's funny...th eonly other place I post is another make and another part of the world whrre I've never seen you. I posted about 3 times in Street Racing before I realized they were all 13 year olds without cars or if they did have cars were all autos and raced about as much as they bathed. Now I'm finished ranting. I'm entitled to my opinions and will voice them as vocally as I like. Seriously, get a life. Bitter? Rude? I love the accusations without the quotes or evidence. I don't have a problem with anyone. So far. Oz.
Old 02-08-2002, 02:10 PM   #13
Ballistic
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by ldelaysionl

hey guy, the market has been making stuff for the 2.5 since the previous generation 2.5rs came out. there is prob MORE stuff on the american market for the 2.5 than the 2.0 i have some previous gen parts on my car myself. and they do make a 2.2 liter wrx, the 22b sti. theres is also a 2.2 liter non turbo impreza, which is what i believe was being referred to here.
I second that and would like to open your eyes a bit. If you go to http://www.i-club.com/forums/forumdi...?s=&forumid=50 you will find many references to turbo kits for the 2.5rs. The RS has been around for i think ten years now and started off as a 2.2L then it went to 2.5. You will be able to get a 2.5L engine to max hp easier than a 2.0 any day.
Old 02-10-2002, 04:28 PM   #14
rezdog_420
AF Regular

ok everyone, quit your bitchin already!! truthfully howmany of u guys even race for real, as in autocrossing and drag racing? i have a car for both events, i graduated from skip barber racing school, and have a racing licence in the NASA circuit! so stop your whining rookies!! also this is for the guys with 2.5RS scooby's there are turbos kits available @ www.forcedairtech.com with 3 different stages and a twin turbo 4th stage in the making!!! the first stage kit gets your scooby into the low 14's to the high 13's, and thats without an intercooler! and the the performance gets much, much better as u step up on the stages. i work at our local subaru dealership, and have seen several 2.5RS' from the customers come in with these kits in them, and i had the privilege to try them out after working on them, and they haul fuckin ass!!! forget your little ass honda, these scooby's can kick some serious ass! but i still know they wont beat my 96 Nissan's 240SX's ass, my 240SX eats Corvette ZO6's for breakfast and Porsche 911's for dinner, (ive already raced against these cars too many times and won). it doesnt matter all too much about displacement, u can easily make a WRX spank these turbo'd 2.5RS', what really counts is your experience in auto tuning and knowledge of top quality parts. :sun:
rezdog_420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 05:49 PM   #15
LjasonL
Some Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by rezdog_420
ok everyone, quit your bitchin already!! truthfully howmany of u guys even race for real, as in autocrossing and drag racing?
umm i do. quite a lot actually. and those arent the only turbo kits for the 2.5, there are a LOT of different turbo and supercharger kts available to choose from, as well as many n/a parts. and obviously u DONT know much about auto tuning, cuz its pretty common knowledge that a larger displacement engine will have more power potential that a smaller displacement. the wrx 22b? it has a 2.2 liter cuz subaru knows that higher displacement will result in more power. if u followed subarus very closely u would know that almost all of the fastest subarus in the world use the 2.5 not the 2.0, i think youre bs'ing anyways, u dont seem to know very much even though u act like u do.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport