Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 01:43 PM   #1
Adhesive STP
AF Newbie

91 lumina 3.1 euro sport engine swap

Can i fit a 3.4 lumina engine into my car, and if so is it a lot of work, i mean will my rear end be able to handle it and what about the transmission, will i have to change that over to a 5 speed seeing mine is only 4 sweed. Also are there other engines i can put into my car, someone told me they put a ASG 5.0L V8 engine. Im not really sure what the ASG means. How much work would that require to make that work and about how much money do you think it would cost for either a 3.4 liter from another lumina or a 5.0 V8
Adhesive STP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 02:20 PM   #2
The Burning Rom
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to The Burning Rom Send a message via MSN to The Burning Rom Send a message via Yahoo to The Burning Rom
Re: 91 lumina 3.1 euro sport engine swap

Um...no...you can't put a 5.0L engine in your lumina. At least not without some MAJOR modifications

You can put a 3.4L DOHC motor in though. You could also put a 3800 Supercharged Motor in your car. You would have to change transmissions on both accounts though. The 3800 requires a 4T65HD transmission, and the 3.4L requires a 4T60HD transmission.

As far as the swaps themselves, the 3.4L would be a direct swap as long as you had a lumina from the years 91-93 with the same engine. You would need the wiring harness, mounts, axles, transmission, engine, computer, and a few other things. That's why it's best to have a whole car for parts.

As far as the supercharged motor, check out this site www.l67swap.com

And the rear-end has nothing to do with any of this......your car IS NOT rear wheel drive.
1990 Metallic Blue & Silver Grand Prix LE Coupe
1979 Blue Dodge Ramcharger
The Burning Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:13 PM   #3
Upgrade
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Upgrade
Actually you can put a 5.0 engine in a Lumina. ASG is a company that uses Cadillac Northstar V-8s and stuffs them in W-Body's (Luminas and others). Here is the link to thier site.
http://www.angelfire.com/stars/mycaddy/asg.htm
Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 11:26 AM   #4
The Burning Rom
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to The Burning Rom Send a message via MSN to The Burning Rom Send a message via Yahoo to The Burning Rom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade
Actually you can put a 5.0 engine in a Lumina. ASG is a company that uses Cadillac Northstar V-8s and stuffs them in W-Body's (Luminas and others). Here is the link to thier site.
http://www.angelfire.com/stars/mycaddy/asg.htm
I know.....notice I said MAJOR modificiations.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:09 PM   #5
Upgrade
AF Newbie

What constitutes MAJOR modifications to you? The kit they have has everything you need to do the swap. This is no more difficult than the suggestion you made with the 3.4 or supercharged 3.8. Although the kit is extremely expensive (last time I looked it was about 9600 for everything) it can be done. No structural mods need to be made, I.E. no cutting.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:10 PM   #6
The Burning Rom
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
What constitutes MAJOR modifications to you? The kit they have has everything you need to do the swap. This is no more difficult than the suggestion you made with the 3.4 or supercharged 3.8. Although the kit is extremely expensive (last time I looked it was about 9600 for everything) it can be done. No structural mods need to be made, I.E. no cutting.
Being $9600 poorer is a major modification to my (and pretty much anyone's) wallet.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:03 AM   #7
Upgrade
AF Newbie

Oh come on now you are just trying to save face. Admit you were wrong and move on.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:24 AM   #8
The Burning Rom
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Oh come on now you are just trying to save face. Admit you were wrong and move on.
But I wasn't wrong. I consider that major...both in cost and modification. If you look at the list of items you get with the kit...you're basically rebuilding your whole engine bay. And doing this without buying the kit would cost almost twice as much.

ANYTHING can be done with a car. I can turn one of my GPs into a RWD car if I want, but it would cost a hell of a lot of money. There comes a point when it's just not feasible to do. Like spending close to 10 grand on a car that's not worth more than 3. Unless you're gonna keep that car FOREVER, it's not worth it.

Furthermore..I've been around on Clubgp, w-body.com, and the TGP boards for a while now...and I've NEVER heard of anyone using that kit for ANYTHING because of the cost and work involved.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:17 PM   #9
Upgrade
AF Newbie

Live the lie man. It can be done and there is support from a manufacturer to do it. Who determines what is feasible? That decision is up to the individual,not something that is voted on. I've seen Miatas with Ford 5.0's and a twin engine Tiburon to mentioned just a couple of examples. If that kid wanted to put in a 5.0 kit then let him at it. Don't squash the mans dream just because you don't think its a good idea.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:46 PM   #10
The Burning Rom
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Live the lie man. It can be done and there is support from a manufacturer to do it. Who determines what is feasible? That decision is up to the individual,not something that is voted on. I've seen Miatas with Ford 5.0's and a twin engine Tiburon to mentioned just a couple of examples. If that kid wanted to put in a 5.0 kit then let him at it. Don't squash the mans dream just because you don't think its a good idea.
I never said it wasn't a good idea. It's just an expensive idea. If he wants to pour 10 grand into the car then he should go ahead and do it. I just hope he doesn't expect to get that 10 grand back if he tries to sell the car later.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:29 PM   #11
maybe2fast
AF Newbie

burning rom- there is a article on the w-body page about the 5.0 liter in a Lumina, oh and making the money back is not what making a car is all about I think it is granted that you are going to loose money (alot) people do it for the hobby and the thrill of being untouchable and in the v-8 Lumina's case making an unbelievable sleeper!
maybe2fast is offline   Reply With Quote