Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 11:16 PM   #1
a99eclipsedriver
AF Newbie

Question 99 Eclipse GS Non-Turbo Auto DOHC need help any would be helpful....PLEASE

I need help....
Its a 1999 Eclipse GS Automatic 2.0 Non-Turbo DOHC, it has 79k, the problem is when i take off(when engine is cold or warm) it wants to hesitate and sputter, exspecially under 2..2-1/2 grand, after its above that it will jet off then when it shifts and the rpm's drop back under 2...2-1/2 grand it wants to sputter and hesitate again.
When sitting at a stop light or etc the idle is rough. THERE ARE NO MODS DONE TO THE CAR. I did hook up a system and hooked up underground neon kit, doing so making sure i didnt cut no wires or anything to harm the car.
The check engine light is on. I took it to Autozone to pull the codes up, and the codes were EGR Valve, Cylinder #4 misfire, so I replaced the spark plugs(tested the wires...seemed to be good, but looks like the original wires), and the spark plugs that I took out didnt seem to be bad. Replaced the PCV Valve and hose that went to the PCV. Also replaced the EGR Valve actually replaced it twice thinking I just got a bad EGR Valve the first time, and still sputters and hesitates to go, it will go but just sputting its way. When I replaced the EGR Valve i cleaned the tubes and hoses and madesure there wasnt no cracks or anything clogging them, cleaned the butterfly with carb. cleaner, tested the battery its putting out the right volts.
The Hanes manual said to check the gas cap for cracks or missing rubber seal, I did so and nothing seemed to be wrong with that. I took a vacuum diagram tool to the EGR Valve and put vacuum on it like the Hanes manual said to do so to check to see if the EGR Valve is good, as I did so and the EGR Valve stem moved as the manual says it should.
I also took it to the Mitsubishi dealer and they worked on it(well said they did, like 7 guys...probably just sitting back in the garage drinking mountain dew and giggling) and they said that it looks as if i put the EGR Valve Gasget(the thin metal piece between the EGR and side of motor) might be on backwards, so i took off EGR and flipped the Gasget nothing changed. Well they collected $80 bucks from me. NEED HELP ASAP...ANY WOULD BE HELPFUL!

Last edited by a99eclipsedriver; 09-28-2003 at 02:45 AM.
a99eclipsedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 12:40 AM   #2
blazingstar
AF Newbie

I have a '96 Eclipse GS which had the exact same problem. Sputtering while cold, sometimes dying completely unless I kept pressure on the gas. And the problem would go away after it heated up. And also I pretty much had the exact same experience taking it to a dealer, and getting charged $80 to have them babysit my car for 4 hours. I even took it to Midas and I watched them from the Starbucks across the street, all I saw them do was open the hood, rev the motor for a few minutes, and park it out front so they could pull another car in. Most shops are completely useless scam artists.

But I did find the problem on my own, and it was an easy fix. Check it out.

Read carefully: It's very likely carbon buildup in the throttle body. When the engine's cold, carbon on the throttle plate sticks to the opening of the throttle body. As it heats up, the problem goes away because the carbon melts and won't stick anymore. This causes the motor to idle too low & rough and even die at low temperatures. All you have to do to fix this problem is get some throttle body cleaner spray ($4.99 at AutoZone), remove the intake pipe, and have someone spray the cleaner into the open throttle body while you rev the motor. Do this until it's thoroughly cleaned.
blazingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 02:51 AM   #3
a99eclipsedriver
AF Newbie

Re: 99 Eclipse GS Non-Turbo Auto DOHC need help any would be helpful....PLEASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingstar
I have a '96 Eclipse GS which had the exact same problem. Sputtering while cold, sometimes dying completely unless I kept pressure on the gas. And the problem would go away after it heated up. And also I pretty much had the exact same experience taking it to a dealer, and getting charged $80 to have them babysit my car for 4 hours. I even took it to Midas and I watched them from the Starbucks across the street, all I saw them do was open the hood, rev the motor for a few minutes, and park it out front so they could pull another car in. Most shops are completely useless scam artists.

But I did find the problem on my own, and it was an easy fix. Check it out.

Read carefully: It's very likely carbon buildup in the throttle body. When the engine's cold, carbon on the throttle plate sticks to the opening of the throttle body. As it heats up, the problem goes away because the carbon melts and won't stick anymore. This causes the motor to idle too low & rough and even die at low temperatures. All you have to do to fix this problem is get some throttle body cleaner spray ($4.99 at AutoZone), remove the intake pipe, and have someone spray the cleaner into the open throttle body while you rev the motor. Do this until it's thoroughly cleaned.

DAMN.....I WASNT AS LUCKY AS YOU, STILL DIDNT FIX THE PROBLEM. I almost used a whole 12oz can of cleaner and no improvements noticeable. BUT THANKS FOR THE INPUT. Any more suggestions, ideas, or input on my problem?
Old 09-28-2003, 06:36 AM   #4
Japmetal

I had/have a similar problem with my Galant's 4G63 [I forget if this is the same as the Eclipse GS, but still]

It was really bad a while ago, and was greatly improved by fitting new Spark Plug leads [again, the ones I removed looked like the originals, so not bad for 13 years old !] and plugs, and by taking the slack out of my throttle cable at idle. I've yet to clean out my throttle body even tho I know I need to, and I still get it slightly sometimes [altho not to the point of stalling, just a stutter in the revs at idle] but I'm mainly putting this down to the terrible state of my downpipe/exhaust upsetting the o2 readings from the Lambda probe.

I cant guarantee that your problem is the same as mine, or my diagnosis of my own problem is right until I sort the cash for a new exhaust, but hopefully it may shed some light for you.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:18 PM   #5
a99eclipsedriver
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japmetal
I had/have a similar problem with my Galant's 4G63 [I forget if this is the same as the Eclipse GS, but still]

It was really bad a while ago, and was greatly improved by fitting new Spark Plug leads [again, the ones I removed looked like the originals, so not bad for 13 years old !] and plugs, and by taking the slack out of my throttle cable at idle. I've yet to clean out my throttle body even tho I know I need to, and I still get it slightly sometimes [altho not to the point of stalling, just a stutter in the revs at idle] but I'm mainly putting this down to the terrible state of my downpipe/exhaust upsetting the o2 readings from the Lambda probe.

I cant guarantee that your problem is the same as mine, or my diagnosis of my own problem is right until I sort the cash for a new exhaust, but hopefully it may shed some light for you.

THANKS, I'LL GIVE THAT A TRY AND HOPE IT DOES SOMETHING, THANKS ALOT.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:38 PM   #6
a99eclipsedriver
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Re: Re: 99 Eclipse GS Non-Turbo Auto DOHC need help any would be helpful....PLEASE

Damn.....nothing is working... noones fix, will fix mine. ANYMORE IDEAS?
Old 10-06-2003, 07:04 PM   #7
Dude weres my dsm?
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Dude weres my dsm? Send a message via Yahoo to Dude weres my dsm?
ok ok ok dude check this out, you say it does it when you stop at a light or drop below 2-1/2? well tyr this, start up the car and rev it to 2,500-3,000rpms let it sit there for about 2 min, and let off, let it drop to the 1,000 mark if it still does it, then its defentaly a misfire, you may have fried a ring or a ring may be sticking, if its a ring you will have no choice but to take it to a mechanich, or you could get a new motor, but just do that, it seems to work on mine, but i duno oh yea, around 90,000miles your head gasket will probaly go bad so be prepared, its about a $1,200.00 job if you want it done right
Dude weres my dsm? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 08:13 PM   #8
a99eclipsedriver
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude weres my dsm?
ok ok ok dude check this out, you say it does it when you stop at a light or drop below 2-1/2? well tyr this, start up the car and rev it to 2,500-3,000rpms let it sit there for about 2 min, and let off, let it drop to the 1,000 mark if it still does it, then its defentaly a misfire, you may have fried a ring or a ring may be sticking, if its a ring you will have no choice but to take it to a mechanich, or you could get a new motor, but just do that, it seems to work on mine, but i duno oh yea, around 90,000miles your head gasket will probaly go bad so be prepared, its about a $1,200.00 job if you want it done right

ok ill give it a try, thanks.