Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 10:14 PM   #1
tobra
AF Newbie

alternator stall van while driving.

This is not a question but info for people that are having a problem with there engine stalling while they are driving. Mine started stalling on me on the highway at 100kmph(60mph). Turns out the rebuilt Alterntor was producing to much AC current and affecting the PCM. An old Alternator can do the same thing. The problem is one of the diodes may stop working or be defective and the alternator will produce to much AC current. All alterntor produce AC current it's call AC ripple. But when to high it affects th PCM and sensors. My rebuilt one that I got was producing .8v of AC current. My new one only.2v. That little bit of difference was enough to stall my engine on the highway.
To test you need a digital volt meter. Set it to AC Volts if your meter has a 2 volt AC setting that's the one to use. This is AC you are measuring not DC so make sure you use AC setting. Start engine. Positive goes to the B+ on the alternator the negative grounds onto the alternator case. You can also check it at battery but it is more accurate taking it of the alternator. Check at idle. Then check at 1500 rpm with a load on the alternator( turn lights on, heater on,rear defroster on, as many thing to put a load on the alternator) the two numbers should be close. From what I've read it seems anything over .5 and you may have a problem. Like I said mine was .8 and stalled my engine on the highway. Now it .22-.26 no more stalling.
Google AC ripple alternator and you will find lots of info.
When you buy a rebuilt alternator have it bench tested before you put it in that may save you some headaches.
tobra is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar