Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 06:29 AM   #1
bradfordian
AF Regular

simil matech ford gt

been building this a bit here and there for a week inbetween work on my nissan but i ran out of paint so have done more last 2-3 days.

all i can realy do is echo what has been written time and time again about this kit,who knows i might add something new who knows.

the parts go together pretty bad,basicly you would expect a kit from 30 yrs ago to be like this not a modern uptodate one with all the technology thats available.detail is soft theres flash a little here and there,some parts fit together ok but i can see that the way some parts like the cockpit and engine area will fit together in a weird way,same for the front nose part.instruction shows some detailed parts being used on the suspension,look at the kit part and its just a simple round part?

the pe seems ok so far.

the decals look awe inspiring but they are pretty stiff and take some getting round curves,dont expect scale motorsport quality,dont expect the cf ones to flop and fold,they wont,exoect lots of to and froing with microsol to get them to conform.

realy i should dislike the kit and to a certain extent i do but i have enjoyed it so far when i shouldnt,everything that tells me your a model maker and should only like nice fitting and super detail seems to be supressed for some reason.

i used zero paints simil ford gt color,it just requires a polish,i used zero paint semi gloss black for the engine area and cockpit but everything else is tamiya.

i will build it so all panels are closed and the doors shut,i dont want to show the engine area as its realy pathetic and i didnt want to even try to detail the cockpit,it will be more about what it looks on the outside.

bradfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #2
eko89
AF Newbie

Re: simil matech ford gt

always love to see gt40 or gt kits good luck
eko89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

it was one of the most disappointing kits I ever had. Only beated by heller 905. Good luck with the build

website www.alsoldatino.com
my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp..._as=subscriber
FB: https://www.facebook.com/alsoldatino
lovegt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
bradfordian
AF Regular

It comes across like the production process was only 50% done or they ran out of money.i can see a goodkit on the outside but I will be judge of that when I actualy assemble it together.most of the other builds on net and here have had great results.but throwing lots of detail work at the engine would have been required to have the engine cowling removed, the engine didnt even go together right, I just wasnt willing to do that work.the roll cage has bad attachment points, you can see missing plastic in the attachment area,2 supports on the rear are too short, I could go on and on but easy way was to just close it all up, not much on the inside will be visible where the engines concerned.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
bradfordian
AF Regular

decided to carbon fibre the bottom of parts, the rear bumper is done.the etch I blackened with a sharpie.more parts of the body will be done soon if all gos well.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #6
bradfordian
AF Regular

Old 01-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
bradfordian
AF Regular

After test fitting the front end I now see I took the wrong path with this project.i have photos of yhe front fenders etc in place but let me tell you the fit is attrocious.basicly there was a need to build the fenders out with sytrene and the square bonnet oart also to get them reasonably fitting.

basicly the cabin area and the sides and the front realy needed to be built away from the chasssis, put together and painted and then dropped onto the rest of the car.

so I have actualy stripped it all down to parts again.its not a problem, I eill strip the paint off, then put the lower chassis together again.fit and build out the body at the front and the doors etc.get that all right then paint it all, put together and then fit it to the car.it might allow me to di some work detailing the air intakes at the front.

but 1 thing I am going to do is to trash the lousey suspension that simil provided.i am just going to feed a sytreme or brass tube through the body for the brake discs to just attach to then put the wheels on.the suspension they provide is weak in my opinion.i could probably manage to redo it all again with donor kit parts but I think I will see whats what when that time comes.

also I am just gonna make it into a gt type street going car.put some ford gt stripes on it, keep the rear spoiler.

it went together pretty bad, I enjoyed putting it altogether but I should have done all the work that was needed to make it right first and I could have avoided this.

my advice is if you wanna make the kit it def will be time consuming and need work, even if you skimp and leave off parts to avoid the bad fitting look you will have to detail all the exposed areas or it will be bland.

so first thing now is to get isopropyl and strip all the body and chassis down of paint then test fit and build the front end all correct.

I got other projects to do also so I will continue them also but yes watch this space.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
Duncan1098
AF Regular

I built this kit, did take time, and you have to work it together, but worth it in the end, looks really good when it's done

Duncan1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
bradfordian
AF Regular

I found there was only the pe part that sits on the engine part stopped the rear fitting but fit on the rear was good indeed.there was discrepicences with the lower doors but a strip of styrene long the edges files and sanded would have made them fit nice.

both front fenders were not long enough, the front nose cant be moved back with trimming or you get a prob with the hood fitting, so solution will be to lengthen the fenders a couple of mm and widen them on one side a mm or 2..

The air intakes on the front, its raditor parts need lowering or the hood wont fit right.

so I am gonna do all this work, just waiting on stripping agent.also I will detail the cockpit but I will make it just a gt version of the car.i have lots of simils decals still but I am gonna change its color.get to that when I get to it.a souped up street car.i suppose I could source replacement seats and make it more road going rather than a single seater.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #10
bradfordian
AF Regular

so model was stripped down and all paint removed from the parts.resprayed the lower floor black and the engine and cockpit area aluminium.i put the engine back on the engine compartment.

I will detail the cockpit up based on images of the matech then I will roughly assemble the body and make all the adjustments to the front end, the front fenders need a bit more length.also I am going to have a go at scratching my own suspension arms so their stronger than the kits original parts.

just so you know I am continuing with this.

it will be done over time but I think I will make a race going gt version but not necessarily matech.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:29 PM   #11
nascar49
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nascar49 Send a message via Yahoo to nascar49

I have this kit , one day I might build it

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports