Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Corolla/Matrix/Voltz
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
dessler
AF Newbie

02 Engine sounds terrible.

My wife's 02 corolla is one of the 8th gen engines that burns up oil. I try and monitor it as much as as I can but I sometimes neglect it. We where headed on a road trip for the holidays so I checked the oil level. It was just barely showing up on the tip. So I put in about a quart and started to drive back to the house to get more oil. I drove about 30 ft before the engine began so shake and began to lope. Then the car died. I started it up again and I had to keep the rpms high but I made it home. I change the pcv valve and pulled the spark plugs (they had a fine coating of a yellowish powder, like powdered mustard, looked fine.) Before I start the engine the dip stick shows only oil on the very tip. After I run in for a bit it shows up way past the full mark. I appreciate any thoughts.

Youtube video of the engine running. Sorry about the erratic camera movements.
http://youtu.be/8DJ7H0cP02Y

It runs smoother as I increase the rpm but stuggles when it idles. As far as I can tell there are no vacuum leaks. OBD reads a misfire in all four cylinders. There is some blow by as well although I'm not sure if it is a lot or normal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0424.jpg (298.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0425.jpg (287.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by dessler; 12-29-2011 at 04:38 PM.
dessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Re: 02 Engine sounds terrible.

The video isn't very telling...sounds just about like what that engine should sound like...I have an '03 Vibe with the same engine. If it was missing or idling bad, it isn't noticeable in the video. It has that racket because they use timing chains now versus the belts in the previous generations and all that clicking is the fuel injectors on the front side.

That said, first make sure that the car is sitting level when checking the oil level. Any significant hill can change the dipstick reading by alot. Then, before you start the car pull the plugs and check for fouling or wetness. Fouled/wet plugs can cause the random misfire CEL code. If oil fouled, then you have a valve stem seal leak. If wet, sniff it to see if it is fuel or coolant. If fuel, you have a leaking injector. If coolant, you have a head gasket leak (my guess since you mention yellowish residue).

I'm not sure, but I think that the reason the PCV gets fouled so easily is that when you add oil thinking it is low, you're actually overfilling it. It then gets splashed up into a froth by the crankshaft and pushed up and out of the crankcase through the PCV valve. I just don't know why your dipstick would read low then way high except for the parking angle.

You don't mention the mileage, but it would be good to check the IAC and EGR valves, and the ECT sensor. Any one of these malfunctioning can case a rough start and idle.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote