Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
dorlow
AF Regular

Gas pedal sticks after car sits for a while

What is the right way to fix a sticky gas pedal? It happens after the car has been sitting for a few hours. Then it feels like I have to press extra hard to get the car to go which then I end up pushing too hard and having the car surge forward or reverse. But once I break it loose, it's good until I park and leave the car for a while.

BTW, it's a 2004 Impals LS
dorlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
blazee
Problem?

Re: Gas pedal sticks after car sits for a while

This is normally caused by build up in the bore of the throttle body. After sitting for a while the butterflies stick in place. A little TB cleaner or rubbing alcohol and an old toothbrush works well to clean it up.
blazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorlow View Post
What is the right way to fix a sticky gas pedal? It happens after the car has been sitting for a few hours. Then it feels like I have to press extra hard to get the car to go which then I end up pushing too hard and having the car surge forward or reverse. But once I break it loose, it's good until I park and leave the car for a while.

BTW, it's a 2004 Impals LS
on my 2000 silverado I need this cleaned every 20,ooomi. do this when engine cold. the throttlebody cleaner will not evaporate fast. let the cleaner set a while. easy on the application. when your satisfied with results wait a 1/2 hour throttle held open , and then using a hair dryer blow the intake a bit to remove any excess if you had to use a good amount.. don't want to flood out the engine..

working the throttle by hand you should not feel any sticking.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Master X
AF Newbie

I had the same problem on my car, I took the hose off the air cleaner box, unbolted the throttle body and found the problem is on the back side of the throttle body butterfly being caked with black carbon deposits. I cleaned this all up with some carb cleaner and put it back together. No more sticky pedal after that.
Master X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master X View Post
I had the same problem on my car, I took the hose off the air cleaner box, unbolted the throttle body and found the problem is on the back side of the throttle body butterfly being caked with black carbon deposits. I cleaned this all up with some "" carb cleaner "" and put it back together. No more sticky pedal after that.
do not use carb cleaner. this is for metal parts only....

throttle body cleaner is designed to safely remove these deposits of carbon etc.....when CARB CLEANER is used this product over time breaks down the rubber/pastic parts internal of the throttlebody and area of with spillage/overspray ...........

Its all yours so ,,,,this is my opinion based on experience , and GM spec's.........

good luck .
Old 07-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Carb cleaner is too harsh, and will strip the clear coat protection, and damage seals.
WD40 and a clean micro cloth should be good.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsatur View Post
Carb cleaner is too harsh, and will strip the clear coat protection, and damage seals.
WD40 and a clean micro cloth should be good.
when you clean these throttle bodies more frequently and you have plenty of time I have used wd-40 or power lube to clean up those deposits..

If it has been 50-100,ooomi on it I think you will need the throttle body cleaner solvent..
Old 07-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
Master X
AF Newbie

I used Zep carb cleaner and personally never had any problems going forward, and that was 30,000 miles ago. I'm not saying that using throttle body cleaner is wrong, but I've had just as much success with Zep carb cleaner on many on the vehicles I've serviced and never had any problems arise. Just because GM says its not recommended doesn't mean that its entirely forbidden. An additional note is that Ford products are more commonly found to have protective coatings on their throttle bodies not GM.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I used Zep carb cleaner and personally never had any problems going forward, and that was 30,000 miles ago. I'm not saying that using throttle body cleaner is wrong, but I've had just as much success with Zep carb cleaner on many on the vehicles I've serviced and never had any problems arise. Just because GM says its not recommended doesn't mean that its entirely forbidden. An additional note is that Ford products are more commonly found to have protective coatings on their throttle bodies not GM.

When the manufacturer recommends certain type products for repair/clean this is usually from field testing and feedback from the dealership/onsite fleet repair engineering.

when mechanics repair vehicles in the businees of their work tracking is usually of no concern. when warranttee issues arise with the manufacturer and tracking repairs is done and what products were used this then is why these spec's are created.

my experience with auto repairs for 4 decades has shown GM to be correct with the recommending of only using throttle body cleaner for their throttlebody components . since I have witnessed the carb cleaner destroying rubber hoses rated for fuel use ...also the rubber O rings and seals used. some intake components are also rubber..

the IAC is a motor ..if the carb cleaner gets into it it will be damaged same for the TPS...
Old 07-17-2011, 01:34 AM   #11
Master X
AF Newbie

Which is very rare to say the least, this is a GM product not a Ford product, the use of throttle body cleaner vs carb cleaner is irrelevant unless you can provide a specific TSB or service bulletin stating that it is NOT recommended.

My final post, "the solution is entirely up to you."

Last edited by Master X; 04-12-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #12
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Which is very rare to say the least, this is a GM product not a Ford product, the use of throttle body cleaner vs carb cleaner is irrelevant unless you can provide a specific TSB or service bulletin stating that it is NOT recommended.

My final post, "the soution is entirely up to you."

I guess you do not take the time and/or cost to review the GM shop manual.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
procaddytech
AF Regular

I have used BG brand throttle body cleaner and 2+2 Gumcutter cleaners with no problems. I mostly use the throttle body cleaner. A top engine cleaner will also work. Lay a rag uder the throttle body to catch the drippings. Just spray, toothbrush and then wipe with a rag. Nothing will be harmed if you keep wiping with a rag. It also helps you to check your progress by wiping the mess off. Repeat until clean. This is easier if you can clamp or hold the throttle plate open. I have done hundreds and never had a problem. If you have a 3.8L you will need to remove the throttle inlet screen very carefully (held in with a large snap ring), use a pick to get it out being careful not to tear it. You will also need to remove the Mass-Air-Flow sensor to access the throttle plate. It is always a good idea to remove the IAC Valve and clean it's pintle and bore. If you have a 3.4L just hold the throttle open and spray, brush, wipe until clean. Remove and clean the IAC also if possible. Note: Sometimes the IAC screws are very tight. Do not force them loose on either engine or they will break. Work them back and forth slowly or apply some light heat with a small handheld butane torch around the screw to help melt the Loctite and the screws will come out. Be careful to not melt any parts and remove the IAC before spraying any combustibles into the throttle body that may ignite. Also, DO NOT use a wire brush or the throttle plate coating can be damaged.
procaddytech is offline   Reply With Quote