Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

82-86 T/A Questions

He guys, I was thinking about buying an early-mid 80's trans am and I have a few Q's.
What is the stock differential on them
How much power can it handle
And whats a good clutch to get, I want a manual trans.
I was thinking about the Centerforce Dual Friction but I haven't heard the best about them, but not for T/A's specifically.
The reason I want an early-mid 80's is I want so luxuries of a newer car ( I'm used to 70's, no AC!) and they are easier to find. And I also had a 307 CID engine ready to plop in it making 425 HP - Mechanical cam, ported heads with biggest valves that fit- 1.84/1.60.
It came out of a 69 El Camino, for some reason everyone thinks 307's suck. They are just a 327 with a slightly smaller bore. The 307 just never came hopped-up from the factory, always with a 2 barrel. And also, people think you are talking about a 305, which does suck.
Thanks for any help somebody can give me.
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 10:38 PM   #2
4mula
AF Regular

if it has the 4 wheel disc option it's an assie 9 bolt. anything else is your standard 7 5/8th ring gear, not a strong unit, same as an S10 pickup. Centerforce DF's are fine if installed right. And if you like the power your otherengine made, go with iy, but you may need help with some brackets for the accessories
THE DESKTOP HORSEPOWER WALLPAPERS & PICS
www.goDragRacing.com
4mula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:45 AM   #3
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Hey thanks for the info.
One other thing, somebody just told me yesterday that the 305 in the firebirds is a pontiac 305, not chevy. So it has a different bellhousing and the 307 will not bolt up - is this true or is it just BS? I really need to know before I buy it.
And how much HP do you think that 7 5/8 can handle? Whats the best swap if it can't handle 425 HP? I need something thats not rare like that 4 wheel disc axle, Something I can find in the local junkyard that will bolt right up with no mods/fabs needed. Thanks
Old 05-06-2003, 08:28 AM   #4
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Come on somebody's got to know if any small block chevy will bolt in. Some Help?
Old 05-11-2003, 11:38 PM   #5
tjoe2000
AF Newbie

Sorry PWMAN, I thought I'd give it a shot, but I don't know. I thought that the Camaro and Firebirds used the SAME engines since the begining of the 3rd gen.
tjoe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 08:28 AM   #6
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by tjoe2000
Sorry PWMAN, I thought I'd give it a shot, but I don't know. I thought that the Camaro and Firebirds used the SAME engines since the begining of the 3rd gen.
Thanks, but what do you mean by saying the "SAME" engines? You mean Pontiac engine?
Old 05-12-2003, 10:38 AM   #7
tjoe2000
AF Newbie

By the same, I mean I think both Chevy and Pontiac used UNIVERSAL engines.....meaning Chevy engines, as a cost cutting advantage.
Just as they both used the SAME LT-1 and LS-1 engines in the 4th gen cars, the 3rd gens would use the same 305 and 350's.
Earlier generations, however, would use their own, divisionally developed engines.
...................................of course, this is just what I THINK. This is in no way hard fact, just pretty much my opinion. I'm still looking for the proof , 'cause now I'm curious about it.
tjoe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 07:08 PM   #8
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Cool, Thanks for helping
Old 05-13-2003, 01:36 AM   #9
Blue02R6
AF Enthusiast

They used chevy engines, well they used chevy V-8s. I remember reading that the '82s were originally designed to use Pontiac motors, but the GMing of GM won out in the end. I'm not sure about the 4 banger, though. It could have been a pontiac motor. Besides Pontiac never made a 305. The V-8 displacements are: 265, 287, 301, 317, 326, 347, 350, 370, 389, 400, 421, 428, and 455ci.
Blue02R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 10:35 AM   #10
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue02R6
They used chevy engines, well they used chevy V-8s. I remember reading that the '82s were originally designed to use Pontiac motors, but the GMing of GM won out in the end. I'm not sure about the 4 banger, though. It could have been a pontiac motor. Besides Pontiac never made a 305. The V-8 displacements are: 265, 287, 301, 317, 326, 347, 350, 370, 389, 400, 421, 428, and 455ci.
So you are saying the 305 is a Chevy, and any othe SBC will drop right in? My brother said the bellhousing is different, is this not true? He said he wasn't positive though.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:38 PM   #11
Blue02R6
AF Enthusiast

Yes thats what I'm saying. The 305 is a SBC. Any small block except for the very early ones will work, meaning your 307 will work. If you have any more doubts just look at the waterpump/timing cover. If the timing cover is stamped and the pump goes across it then its a chevy. If the cover is cast and the pump bolts onto it then it would be a Pontiac. Also stock Pontiac intake manifolds were seperated from the valley(think edlebrock airgap manifold with valley cut off). SB and BB chevys were not like this the manifold doubles as the valley pan. Finally, look at the oil pan, on a Pontiac the front of the pan extends about 2" in front of the block. It forms a flat joint with the timing cover. One more note if you have a 700r4 trans it has to be a chevy, 700r4s only came with chevy bolt patters. Good luck with the swap.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:53 AM   #12
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Thanks
Old 06-02-2003, 11:10 PM   #13
FrmlaBRD350
AF Newbie

A bird without wings

I own a firebird formula with some sort of L98 motor in it. Tonight i went up against a good friend of mine in a race. He beat me but, thats not the bad part he did it in a 2000 Ford mustang. It gets worse he has a v-6 motor. I need to know how to race an automatic and how I can get the most power out of my engine when I do race. Please, any comments or suggestions to help.
FrmlaBRD350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:15 PM   #14
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

I don't know much about new cars, most of them have an electronically shifted tranny. I'm not sure if you can get a shift kit for it??? Anyway, you should shift your automatic manually. So if you want to race somebody from a stop, put it down in first - keep it in first until you feel it isn't pulling real hard anymore. See your factory tranny has a certain shift point, most shift too early not giving you optimum performance. So shift manually and find a shift kit if you can.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:17 AM   #15
Blue02R6
AF Enthusiast

Well, to get the most power out of it. Take the motor out, disassmble it, and take it to a machine shop. Have them blue print and balence the motor, deck the block, and port the heads. New cam, lifters and rocker arms, some headers and port matched intake. That would get to you started on getting the most out of that L98. Of course for that kinda money you could just get an LT4. As for the tranny buy a TCI replacement. They will match up the torque converter to the motor specs. Not the cheapest way to go but you did say most.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions