Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #16
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Re: Air Conditioning Line Problems on Right Side Front

BTW, the support (rubber) bushings for the sub-frame should allow some flexing for protection of the tie-rods. Or so I believe.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #17
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Air Conditioning Line Problems on Right Side Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Ounce View Post
At my age its never wise to be sure of anything. On my '99, the steering rack seems to be replaceable as a unit. Of course, the boots and rod ends are serviceable. I'm not sure there are bushings in the bolt holes. I have referred to Haynes, the shop manual, and the on-line Ford parts catalog. Nothing about replacing bushings. In my experience, the splined bolts must be forcefully driven upward out of the aluminum rack body. Yet I see the bushings that Rock Auto offers. These must be an performance upgrade, used along with different bolts ... that I am not familiar with. ??

Other year models may be different. Have you replaced yours? What year model?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Ounce View Post
BTW, the support (rubber) bushings for the sub-frame should allow some flexing for protection of the tie-rods. Or so I believe.
Mine is a 2002 but it was replaced by a shop years ago before I decided to become a DIY'er. I thought for sure I saw bushings when I looked, though. I'll have to look again next time I have something to fix (hopefully not soon ). The service manual doesn't show bushings specifically but it just has crude diagrams of the parts. Interestingly, it shows dropping the exhaust, but I'm not sure the cats are really in the way if you drop the subframe far enough. I'd much rather lower the subframe than try to unscrew that Y-pipe from the flex pipe. I'm pretty sure both would disintegrate at this point if I ever messed with them like that!
scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar