Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 05:06 AM   #46
bradfordian
AF Regular

Re: f1 mclaren longtails dual builds.

I have been using microsol on the model before placing the decal.i did think that perhaps the microsol was making the decals act the way they did although I did use microsol on the r89 with no probs.i used water with some detergent in it slso but that didnt improve the situation so threw that idea away.

Am also wandering if its perhaps because I should gave hiven the paint and clear more time to cure, I cleared coated the model 24 hrs after the top coat was applied but applied the decals 24 hrs after the clear was appled.perhaps I should have waited around 3 days there might have been sone stickiness u couldnt feel or the microsol reacted somehow with the clear?
bradfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:23 AM   #47
hirofkd
AF Enthusiast

Studio 27 uses several decal suppliers from Cartograf to UMi and a few Japanese domestic printers, and the type of decal can be silkscreen or offset printed. Based on your description, the R89 decal could have been offset printed, which tend to have a thicker carrier film, or maybe its adhesive was weaker than the Cartograf's.
Also, IIRC, Zero's base color turns out flat, which causes some surface resistance. One type of decal might be thick enough that such resistance is negligible, but another type might be sensitive to it.
Just use a different amount of water according to the thickness of the carrier film, strength of the adhesive, and surface roughness/smoothness, and you should be able to handle any type of decal.

hirofkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #48
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordian View Post
I have been using Microsol on the model before placing the decal.
I think I just solved your decal 'problem' Microsol is to be used after the decal is on the model and pretty much dried to melt it into curves and creases etc. You should be using Microset onto the model first which will help the decal to slide around on the surface and be easier to position. The Microsol will make the decals wrinkle and curl up and can pretty much destroy them if you try to move them after you've applied it. That's why you had so much difficulty placing the decals, now I understand
Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #49
bradfordian
AF Regular

I have basicly used It all the time and only had few probs but the first fujimi kits I am building are these 2 and had probs with both.i will order me some microset straight away, I dont fancey probs but I think this time the microsol is a bit stronger or something cos I did start a new bottle.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #50
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I have basicly used It all the time and only had few probs but the first fujimi kits I am building are these 2 and had probs with both.i will order me some microset straight away, I dont fancey probs but I think this time the microsol is a bit stronger or something cos I did start a new bottle.
Yes you need the Microset (blue bottle) the Microsol (red bottle) is for applying onto the decals so that they will bend around complex curves and into holes in the body etc. Use the Sol with caution as it can be quite strong on certain decals..
bradfordian (02-04-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #51
bradfordian
AF Regular

I make it official and I am terminating these builds.i have definately taken far too much work on even though I made good progress everywhere bar the bodys.

I got the r89 build drawing to a close and thats only my second ever car but the f1 mclarens are my third build and I def dived in far too deep.basicly I set my standards high which I always got criticised for in the scifi I do but if I cant please myself and be happy even if you lot like it I cant.

I broke one door proper good and I just cant get to grips with the masking amd being happy with the way it comes out, I nicked a body while polishing it and to put it right it needs some spray so I basicly said $/^& *( and put the models in their boxs and I am moving on.

So realy my only gripe with automotive is overcomplicated paint schemes amd decal heavy car liveries.i think I tackle other more straight forward builds and not do two at a time.

sorry for ranting on I just want you to know cos I think you deserve an explanation.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:25 AM   #52
hirofkd
AF Enthusiast

Long ago, one of my builds didn't turn out right, and the unfinished body became a canvas for practicing airbrush.
When I was learning the basics of car modeling, there was no social media to ask for help, so everything had to be trial and error.
Mistakes happen all the time, but as long as you believe in yourself and keep trying to improve, you'll eventually reach the level you can be satisfied with. Good luck with your next build.

hirofkd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hirofkd For This Useful Post:
bradfordian (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 05:50 AM   #53
bradfordian
AF Regular

I know at least one of them can be still finished but cos I been painting the bodies 3x now and still not happy I want to back away from them and do something that I can build virtualy oob and hopefully do better paint job on.so I think one of them will be finished the other will become a donor for parts for another project.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #54
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I know at least one of them can be still finished but cos I been painting the bodies 3x now and still not happy I want to back away from them and do something that I can build virtualy oob and hopefully do better paint job on.so I think one of them will be finished the other will become a donor for parts for another project.
Never give up..!!! That's always the motto..!!! Doesn't matter how bad you mess up a paint job it usually can be salvaged, stripped and re-painted. Take some time out from these builds and put them aside. Make something easy, something that's one colour overall, with simple decals and it will give you a lift and boost your confidence. Then later, when you have a few builds under your belt, return to the McLaren's and you'll be better equipped to build them. I think the Fina version is the easier of the two. The Gulf is, due to the nature of the two tone scheme and the precise masking needed for the border between the two colours where the orange stripe fits, much harder, but still possible. You've got to copy the decal sheet and make a masking guide to do it right just my
But to be good with decals and masking precisely takes time to learn properly. Practice makes perfect. But as they always say, a change is as good as a rest
Good luck with whatever you choose to build next and post it on here so we can follow along. If you need any help just shout out and you'll get it. Remember you only learn when you make mistakes. Hell, I've made loads along the way, but I've learnt a lot too. If I told you that I probably trash one out of five bodies and end up stripping and re-painting them would it cheer you up any..?? It's a true fact...
Old 02-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #55
John18d
AF Enthusiast

I'm in complete agreement with Steve - Bradfordian
"never give up" - that's Churchill's prophetic statement from WWII
These F1 GTRs were obviously a bit more difficult than you are used to, but as Steve says - take some time away from them and come back to them latter.
I am currently building 5 different models - and each time I reach an impasse I go to the next one and then eventually I come back around to the first one when I've had a chance to think of solutions.
You did a great paint job on the "Gulf" but as Steve pointed out for a scheme like that you have to copy the decals and make masking templates so that things will line up.
Best of luck to your Bradfordian - but don't give up!!!!!!!
John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports