Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Goodedontknow
AF Newbie

Unhappy Seems to be my tranny, but I really dont know...

I have a 2003 F150 that has overdrive, 4x4 (hi/lo), and about 200k. At this point in time it revs close to 2000rpm before sliding into gear. It seems to be an off and on thing. Somedays are worse than others and this morning was the downfall as Im not certain it will make it anywhere I want to go. I did a loop around the block to warm it up and check the fluid level and I was happy to get home. The fluid has an almost burnt smell after the drive but its clean and free of debris and it had issues getting into any gear when previously it was just first. I had a friend suggest a fluid called 'Gunk TransClean' or something of the sort, but Im not sure thats a good idea after reading a few other posts. Any ideas from someone who knows?
Goodedontknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: Seems to be my tranny, but I really dont know...

I'd be ready for a tranny rebuild or swap. Once the fluid smells burnt, and with that mileage, bandaid additives might only get you a few extra miles.
Are any of the warning lights on that might indicate there is a code to be read to help see if it is electrical in nature and not just the clutch pack (or something else) worn out? If there is, you might want to try and have it read. Better to fix a bad sensor and get more miles, then to rebuild the trans and it doesn't work when it goes back in because "it had a bad sensor".
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
Goodedontknow
AF Newbie

Re: Seems to be my tranny, but I really dont know...

No sensor lights showing of any kind. Im going to just remove the tranny and get a rebuilt and throw that in. My brother and brother in-law will help thankfully because Id have no clue how to do it myself. Thanks for the input.
Goodedontknow is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series