Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
sbpr
AF Newbie

2003 3.4 impala vibrates (not shakes, vibrates) at low RPMs

2003 3.4 impala vibrates (not shakes, vibrates) at low RPMs I've got a 3.4 impala,~195,000 miles. Symptoms: The car vibrates at low RPMs, when slowly accelerating, or holding speed. If I rev hard it doesn't vibrate, if I coast down, it does not vibrate. In addition, when I am stopped and idled at a red light, it _was_ vibrating, but I changed out the spark plugs and wires, and it's better but not fixed. Pre-plugs, it was really bad - to the point where I thought the car might explode.@_@ Post-plugs, it's annoying, but functional. That said, I don't want it to worsen again to the point I'm worried it's going to explode again (really really really loud), so I'm trying to fix it, not just mitigate. Any suggestions?
sbpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

Re: 2003 3.4 impala vibrates (not shakes, vibrates) at low RPMs

Sounds like a possible vacuum leak on the engine . Open the hood with the engine running and listen for a " hissing " sound , being careful not to come in contact with any hot or rotating components ! The rubber hoses on the engine deteriorate with age and the many heat cycles they go through , and break or crack , causing the engine to lose vacuum and it causes the engine to run terribly at idle or low engine rpm's .
Old 07-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
sbpr
AF Newbie

standard disclaimer: i am not a car person. Most of this stuff is pretty new to me, it took me a week to do the spark plugs and wires because I had to ratchet up the engine. That said, I like to do it myself when I can, and once I did it, I know it pretty well. So - uh, which one are the vacuum lines and how do I identify them? ^^;
Old 07-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

Vacuum lines are generally black in color and range from about 1/8 " up to maybe 1/2" in size . There are a few exceptions where a small plastic line will be used for the majority on the length with short rubber lines used to attach the ends to the components . Most often they are slipped onto fittings with no clamps or devices to hold them in place as they are under vacuum instead of pressure . They are essential to proper engine operation and must be installed in the proper location for everything to work as intended . If you get them mixed up and install them in the wrong place , the engine will run terribly , perhaps not at all ! Always make notes or digital photos so you'll have a reference to go back and look at if you become confused ? Generally , don't remove more than one at a time to limit your chances of making a mistake on where each one goes . You could take it to your favorite auto parts store and get one of the knowledgeable and experienced guys to show them to you . They may even be able to show you if any vacuum lines are in need of replacement or if any have become disconnected or are missing . I think I have a diagram ( somewhere ) of the vacuum line layout but will have to try to locate it ? If I can find it , I'll try to get it to you . I did find a link to the needed diagram , not sure if it's the correct one for your particular application , but try the link ( http://www.mechanixtrix.com/article/...?articleid=176 ) . If the link doesn't work , I'll need an email address to send a copy to you . When received , make a copy of it and take out to your vehicle and see if it matches your layout before removing any lines !

Last edited by oldblu65; 07-06-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Adding additional text
oldblu65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
sbpr
AF Newbie

Ended up taking it in to firestone, the vacuum lines were a little too much for my current automative DIY skills. Anyways. It wasn't the vacuum lines at all - it was the exhaust not giving enough backpressure. I'm out $600 for that, but hopefully this info helps the next dood.