Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
SonicSid
AF Newbie

95 Lumina 3.1 died suddenly

Greetings AF,

My 95 Lumina just up and died in transit the other day. No warning what-so-ever. It seemed as if it ran out of fuel, but it happened without the intermittent stalling sensation of an empty gas tank.

The motor will turn over, no problem. CEL lights up, and all panel functions operate as expected. It tries to start occasionally but acts as if it's starved for fuel.

The fuel pump runs when the ignition is on and the rail charges, although I'm not sure of the exact pressure because I don't have a gauge. The car will run evenly on starting fluid, but only until it dissipates. All the fuses in the engine compartment are ok, and all electrical and vacuum connections seem to be intact.

Logically, I've arrived at the conclusion that there is a problem with the injector system. Approximately 2 months ago I had the injectors out and cleaned them all and replaced the seals for an ultimately unrelated issue, and the car has run fine...up to now.

Of course I want to continue my troubleshooting process by eliminating the least expensive and labor intensive possibilities first. I'm planning to check the pressure on the rail, and if it's low I'll change the fuel filter and then the pump.

My questions: Has anyone encountered a similar problem and what would be the next course of action?

Thank you, and please respond if additional details are needed.
SonicSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
ktetch
AF Newbie

Re: 95 Lumina 3.1 died suddenly

Yeah, I've got the same problem. I found one of my injectors had failed, and that apparently knocks out the entire bank of injectors, half the cylinders.

It took me ages to get to the injectors and get them out (I think they're all original on my 91 - prior to me getting it 3 years ago, it'd only done 70k miles, very low for a 91) but since you've already had them out recently, you're probably good.
ktetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
SonicSid
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktetch View Post
Yeah, I've got the same problem. I found one of my injectors had failed, and that apparently knocks out the entire bank of injectors, half the cylinders.

It took me ages to get to the injectors and get them out (I think they're all original on my 91 - prior to me getting it 3 years ago, it'd only done 70k miles, very low for a 91) but since you've already had them out recently, you're probably good.
Yeah, I seem to remember reading, probably here, that if one injector fails they all fail due to a grounding issue in the injector harness...or something to that effect. Dammit, I really don't want to buy any injectors.

I'm hoping it's the fuel filter or pump. Gonna try that first. I posted prior to changing them in hopes of getting a few ideas from the board on other possible solutions because, as we know, time is money.

Btw, there is pressure on the rail. Does it only have to drop slightly from spec to cause this sort of problem? Anybody?
Old 06-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSid View Post
Yeah, I seem to remember reading, probably here, that if one injector fails they all fail due to a grounding issue in the injector harness...or something to that effect. Dammit, I really don't want to buy any injectors.

I'm hoping it's the fuel filter or pump. Gonna try that first. I posted prior to changing them in hopes of getting a few ideas from the board on other possible solutions because, as we know, time is money.

Btw, there is pressure on the rail. Does it only have to drop slightly from spec to cause this sort of problem? Anybody?
My '93 Lumina had 8 psi fuel pressure instead of nearly 50. It would run at a steady 70+ mph, but it was PURE HELL trying to get it to start and accelerate. Anything below 40 mph was VERY troublesome--stalling, no power, etc. Took me eight hours to drive 150 miles.

Strangely, it ran pretty good at 70, IF I could get to 70.

Replaced fuel pump 'n' strainer; all is good.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
SonicSid
AF Newbie

Just as an update, the filter and pump solved my problem.

I had forgotten I had run it out of gas recently. Very bad on the old factory pump, or even a new one for that matter. Of course I wasn't aware of that fact when I was driving around on fumes.

...and now the starter solenoid is wanting to act up. Jeez...Soon I'll have a new car, one part at a time. What was that song by Johnny Cash again?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

How many miles on it? I've got a '97 with 160,000 and it occasionally does this little "hack" while cruising down the highway...very subtle, but just like the engine quit pulling or the tranny had a momentary glitch in the OD, but as I said, very, very subtle...still, I don't like it.

Wondering if you noticed anything like that prior to the pump failing. Can't believe mine has lasted this long...

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcoslacker View Post
How many miles on it? I've got a '97 with 160,000 and it occasionally does this little "hack" while cruising down the highway...very subtle, but just like the engine quit pulling or the tranny had a momentary glitch in the OD, but as I said, very, very subtle...still, I don't like it.

Wondering if you noticed anything like that prior to the pump failing. Can't believe mine has lasted this long...
Yup. I noticed no problems before filling with fuel in Winnemucca, NV on a Saturday. After filling, had highway-speed misfire that got worse as I drove. So subtle at first that I thought I was imagining it. MAYBE I got bad gas, more likely the fuel pump just picked that time to die. About 120K on the car at that time.

By Fernley, NV, I pulled off to investigate. Could hardly re-start engine. Poor power when it did run. Spent the night there. Changed fuel filter--no improvement.

Now it's Sunday of a Monday-holiday week. No repair shops open.

In desperation, I spurred the thing over the mountains to Sacramento and then to my Father's place. Damn near didn't make it.

Just because we have similar highway misfire doesn't mean you have a failing fuel pump...but believe me, if you DO, you'll want to fix it on YOUR schedule not the fuel pump's schedule.

My out-of-town, Tourist Surcharge total price for a fuel pump replacement on a '93 Lumina was $550; and I paid it or I'd have had to sell the car and buy a plane ticket home.

I'd have done it in my driveway for seventy bucks; if the pump would have died at home.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Yeah, I think I will probably put one in it....now that I think about it, I have had a couple of hard starts/extended crank time episodes recently. It's probably circling the drain, slowly...thanks.

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote