Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
slick_9191
AF Newbie

Question Autotrans utlization question

Hi All,

First post. So I got my first non-sportscar, non-standard tranny, non-two door car... and I need to know how to drive it.

Just kidding, kinda. Being used to driving standards I do three things by nature to my (new/2010) automatic transmission:

1. When cruising on a downhill or when I'm going to come to a stop, I put the car in neutral and keep it there until I'm ready to go again, then engage.

2. When 'engaging' to (D)rive, I don't press on the brakes, I just slip it from (N)eutral down to (D) and let it start rolling. I assume this releases some pressure from the automatic trans when it engages, prolonging its life... correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Basically is ok to drive this way, attempting to increase my MPG and prolong the life of my tranny.

Thanks in advance guys.
slick_9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

Re: Autotrans utlization question

Actually, auto trans are very reliable, and are built to take into account a constant D engagement.
I don't think it really matters that much re mpg, if it does, you wouldn't see any noticable savings for quite awhile over just keeping the trans in D constantly.

One thing I strongly suggest is to ALWAYS foot on brake when engaging the trans from P or N into D or R.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Consider the movement that is stopped, could save nicking someone's rear end, or keep you from nosing out into a street where you get smacked from oncoming traffic. Or keep the rear of your car from clipping an old lady trundling her shopping cart behind you in your blind spot in a parking lot. Just a few examples.
Knifeblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
slick_9191
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifeblade View Post
Actually, auto trans are very reliable, and are built to take into account a constant D engagement.
I don't think it really matters that much re mpg, if it does, you wouldn't see any noticable savings for quite awhile over just keeping the trans in D constantly.

One thing I strongly suggest is to ALWAYS foot on brake when engaging the trans from P or N into D or R.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Consider the movement that is stopped, could save nicking someone's rear end, or keep you from nosing out into a street where you get smacked from oncoming traffic. Or keep the rear of your car from clipping an old lady trundling her shopping cart behind you in your blind spot in a parking lot. Just a few examples.
Thanks for the response. Ok, so it sounds like im not saving the tranny at all by doing the techniques mentioned above.

As for the brake on engagements, I always hold my foot on the brake while in N until I am ready to go, then i release the brake, then slip it down to D. This is only while driving because obviously if im parked (P) then i have to hold the brake all the way down to D (same for going into Reverse from anywhere). I only mentioned it because i thought i might be saving syncro's or something in tranny by avoiding immediate pressure from the brakes. It makes sense that they should be able to last from simple things like that, I'm just used to baby'ing my cars in every way possible.

Thanks!
-Steve
slick_9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

Well, Steve, there's nothing wrong with going into D from N freely, if you are alert and ready to go. It, IMO, really will make little difference, except maybe on a trans that hasn't been maintained or has major miles on it.
I hear you about babying vs. rodding the ride, though, make them last.
Knifeblade is offline   Reply With Quote