Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Mike136
AF Newbie

Hi there! A little questioning...

I'm a new guy here, and first, I'd like to say that wow, this is a big place. Second, this thread may be in a bad spot, and I may get biased advice, but whatever. I am looking (Probably a few years in advance, to be honest) for a car to have fun in, be able to show off, and kick ass. I don't plan on doing serious street racing, but would like a car that can go FAST. I'm trying to keep the price low, (Lower the better), and it has to look different and awesome. I can't stand how most cars look exactly the same, and therefore need something that's got a somewhat exotic design, like a 1970's Corvette Stingray. I'm also into a lot of European supercars, and currently work in a Motorsports auto shop. I'm not sure what the pricing is for a Stingray, but it hits every other constraint, namely the styling and power. I'm also not really into smaller cars, I'd rather have muscle than zip.

Sorry for the long-ass post, and the obvious rambling. If you guys could give me some ideas for how feasible the Stingray would be, or if you can think of other cars that would fit what I've described, let me know and it'd be greatly appreciated.
Mike136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:07 AM   #2
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Re: Hi there! A little questioning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike136 View Post
I'm a new guy here, and first, I'd like to say that wow, this is a big place. Second, this thread may be in a bad spot, and I may get biased advice, but whatever. I am looking (Probably a few years in advance, to be honest) for a car to have fun in, be able to show off, and kick ass. I don't plan on doing serious street racing, but would like a car that can go FAST. I'm trying to keep the price low, (Lower the better), and it has to look different and awesome. I can't stand how most cars look exactly the same, and therefore need something that's got a somewhat exotic design, like a 1970's Corvette Stingray. I'm also into a lot of European supercars, and currently work in a Motorsports auto shop. I'm not sure what the pricing is for a Stingray, but it hits every other constraint, namely the styling and power. I'm also not really into smaller cars, I'd rather have muscle than zip.

Sorry for the long-ass post, and the obvious rambling. If you guys could give me some ideas for how feasible the Stingray would be, or if you can think of other cars that would fit what I've described, let me know and it'd be greatly appreciated.

If you're under 25 or 30 and single, daily-driver insurance might be your biggest expense. If you have some tickets, keep your daily driver and look into collector car insurance to save up to 90%.

With the current economy, a decent-looking and -running C3 coupe should start around $10,000, more for convertibles and MUCH more for early non-smog, chrome-bumper cars.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
BloodRedVette
AF Newbie

Re: Hi there! A little questioning...

Depends on how lucky you are and how finished you want it.

I dumb lucked on to my 1974 Stingray

Someone liked building engines and ignored the rest - they stuffed it into a barn

The motor in mine seems to have been well built and if you are handy with a tool or two you can find some on eBay right now for a fair price.

If your state is like North Carolina - 1974 may be as new as you want.
It is the last year with no catalytic converter. That means no metal floor pan to replace.

If you want to trick it out ... Jeg's has a low profile Edelbrock intake with 2 four barrel Edelbrock carb's (1000CFM total) that's really nice on a 350.
Be aware that Edelbrock carburetor's are a pain to mess with - but they are serious performance on a modified Webber body

Also - what I am considering on mine is to convert it to fuel injection ... maybe ...
BloodRedVette is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette