Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > TrailBlazer | Trailblazer EXT
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 11:44 PM   #1
Kupop
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Kupop
Towing with a TrailBlazer

Hello all.

I currently drive a '95 Chevy Lumina as my daily driver but I am looking to replace it soon with some type of SUV. From just seeing the TrailBlazers on the road they look nice and I have used Blazers in the past but just not the TrailBlazer since the name change in 2002.

The biggest reason I am looking at getting rid of my current daily driver for some type of SUV is to tow my other car around. I have a '93 Toyota MR2 that I race at various locations and I would much prefer to tow it to some of the events that are further away. If anything were to break I could bring it home no problem and also racing tires are expensive and don't last long.. I don't want to wear them out on the streets.

My MR2 is about 2800lbs, I havn't looked into the weight of an open car trailer but I can't imagine them being too heavy so lets say I am looking at towing about 4000lbs. I read some where the TrailBlazer has a tow rating of 6800, well above what I am looking to tow.

So, what I am getting at... Have any of you used a TrailBlazer to tow a similar load? What can I expect? Anything I should look into? Does the TrailBlazer offer a tow package? Is it worthwhile? A particular model better than others when towing?

Otherwise, the TrailBlazer will be my new daily driver. I drive about 14 miles to work and then back, so I average maybe 200 miles a week. Maybe 250 at most. So gas usage won't suffer too much in the change. Does gas milage really suffer while towing?

I havn't looked into the available options of the TrailBlazers, but I would like to have the following: a darker exterior color and preferrably a darker interior but I am open here, tow package, sun/moon roof, leather interior, heated seats. The rest I can really care less about, no need for the EXT model.

Also, if anyone thinks another vehicle would be better for me to look into, please let me know. I am not going to use it often to tow so I am interested in basically the smallest SUV able to tow my MR2 since I will be doing daily driving in it far more often than towing. I towed a larger enclosed trailer with a car in it with a 2000 JMC Jimmy and would not want to use that to tow my car around often. From what I can tell the TrailBlazer is bigger so it would be better than the Jimmy was and my car/trailer will be smaller and lighter.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the length. If you'd like to discuss it on AOL my screenname is Kup0p (with a zero).
Kupop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:02 AM   #2
95_ESi_Person
AF Newbie

Re: Towing with a TrailBlazer

You will not be dissapointed with a Trailblazer.

I have an 02 LTZ and I absolutely love it.

I was wondering the same thing about towing because I need to tow my other car (95 Tank... er.. Talon, it's heavier than it looks!) soon, with a long open trailer. Talon weighs 3858lbs according to the sticker in the door jam. Oh, that's the GVWR... so 3,000 lbs-ish.

I'm not sure, but I *think* that the 2WD version is capable of towing more, I have 4WD so I'm not sure what I can handle. I have heard of 4WD's towing 20' boats with no problem, even with the I6 engine.

All Trailblazers are set up for towing, they have the hitch and the wire harness on them.

Best part yet... they look good however they are... clean, dirty, you name it!
95_ESi_Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:03 PM   #3
phewop118
AF Regular

The I6 isn't bad for towing, just don't expect it to pull like normal. The optional V8 would be a lot better. However, it's only available in the EXT and a rare find in 06-07 regular ones. The older v8's (pre-05's) have worse gas mileage than the 6, but the newer ones are about the same. If your driving is mostly city driving (either engine), you're looking at fuel economy numbers no higher than 15 or 16mpg. If you do highway driving, expect close to or even slightly above 20mpg (with a light foot, that is).
phewop118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:42 PM   #4
Kupop
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Kupop

Thanks for the replies so far.

I am looking for a 4x4 version since I live in the North East and a 4x2 SUV will not go anywhere in snow. The only other option I forgot to add is keyless entry. If I'm going to be spending this kind of money for a vehicle I am getting what I want from the start. I found a nice one on eBay last night that is in TX but it doesn't have the sunroof

It seems the TrailBlazer is a good choice for me but could anyone explain the differences from like a LT to LTX and was it LS? Anyone of those better for me, or offer the options I am looking for? I love having an open roof and if it is an option I am getting it... I hate solid roofs!

I'm not interested in the EXT nor a brand new model. I don't need the third row seat or the extra room and the V8 doesn't have much better numbers from what I seen. I realize the I6 isn't going to be great but I think it would be up to the task and considering I will be towing my car maybe 8 times a year, I don't need a vehicle that is built for towing.

I only get 20-25 with my Lumina between normal driving and highway. So if it drops by 10 even, with 250 average a week that is only like 5 extra gallons a week. ~$10-15 nothing huge but a slight difference and I was expecting that.
Kupop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:07 PM   #5
95_ESi_Person
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupop
Thanks for the replies so far.

It seems the TrailBlazer is a good choice for me but could anyone explain the differences from like a LT to LTX and was it LS? Anyone of those better for me, or offer the options I am looking for? I love having an open roof and if it is an option I am getting it... I hate solid roofs!

I only get 20-25 with my Lumina between normal driving and highway. So if it drops by 10 even, with 250 average a week that is only like 5 extra gallons a week. ~$10-15 nothing huge but a slight difference and I was expecting that.
Now, LS and LT are the trim levels, LTZ was the top trim level for the '02-'03 model years. LT is now the top trim level.

I believe that keyless is available on every one except the most basic LS. You can get any option you want, you just have to look for it.

As for gas mileage, it's not TOO bad. I'm used to driving an econobox, so it's bad to me. I have hit 30mpg one time at 57mph in cruise, but I might have been going downhill. 20-25 highway depending on how you drive.
95_ESi_Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:27 AM   #6
Chazr246
AF Newbie

I know for a fact they sell a trailblazer LT 4x4 with a sunroof, and every trailblazer, since it was made in 2002 and up, comes with keeyless-entry. I saw one just like that at Carmax when i was loking for my TB. I'm getting 16mpg in the city and 23 on the freeway, that's with the 2 wheel drive with a cold-air-intake. As far as towing i don't know exactly how much it can tow, i could always just look in the manual or on the sticker on the tow hitch, but i take it off-roading and i have had to save several of my friends. One of who had an 85' Bronco, i towed it for about 10 miles back to his house.
Chazr246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #7
ScarabEpic22
AF Regular

Actually, some 04 LS1 (or LSA?) models did not come with keyless (I can verify this, other members of a different forum have installed keyless [actually had to replace the LGCM])

Towing, depends on engine and rear gears. For example, my 02 I6 4WD with GT4 (3.73 gears) can tow 5400lbs. The TB SS LS2 6.0L V8 (4.10s are the only option) can tow 6800lbs (2WD) or 6600lbs (AWD). Basically, the easiest way is to goto the chevy website, select the TB, and goto specs and trailering specs. Match up your engine and gears and it will tell you how much you can tow.

BTW, standard engine is the 4.2L I6 LL8, 5.3L V8 LH6 and 6.0L V8 LS2 are options (LS2 only on TB SS). Gears are 3.42, 3.73, 4.10s (GU6, GT4, GT5 respectively) and a G80 locking rear diff is optional on all (LSD is std on TB SS).

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4X4 -Summit White w/Oak interior
Many Mods, latest: EFILive tuned by (me)
ScarabEpic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #8
bradleypa
AF Newbie

going to be pulling a Pop up. weight is around 2800lbs. I have a Chevy Mechanic saying it would be wise to put in an additional tranny cooler any wisdom on this? Is the system good as is? We will be going across the country in it so mountains will be on the menu.
bradleypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #9
maxwedge
A990 racer

Do it. BTW, start a new thread in the future this is 3 years old and dead, thanks.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
Jethro
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Jethro

I got a question about dead topics. The person probably was searching your topics and found what they were looking for and found a topic to jump into. I know its 3 years old but it isnt dead now is it? Is it that bad to reopen old topics of discussion?
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
budscuz
AF Newbie

I'm luvin' towing with mine. Bought it 2 months ago. It's an '06,
I6, 4x4. It gets about 14 or 15 mpg towing. So far I've pulled my 17' ski boat and a utility trailer with an old Suby wagon. No problems...at all. I put on a set of tires...Load rating E. They hold 80 lbs. Not a good plan. The suspension, even though it's coil springs isn't soft enough for these tires. I recommend a "normal" SUV tire.
budscuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #12
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
I got a question about dead topics. The person probably was searching your topics and found what they were looking for and found a topic to jump into. I know its 3 years old but it isnt dead now is it? Is it that bad to reopen old topics of discussion?
May not be dead but it is getting old.
I am old school.
If a old dog is old let him rest in Peace.
If you wake him up you may get bite.
Right under Traiblazer forum.

You can read forum rules on old post.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...uidelines.html

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623321

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623321

From forum rules.
POSTING IN CLOSED OR OUTDATED THREADS:
If a thread has been closed, there is probably a logical reason for it. If you feel that the reason(s) for closure of the original thread are unjustified or wish further clarification feel free to contact any member of the moderating team. However, do not start a new thread about another closed thread.

Please avoid posting or voting in outdated threads. It merely clutters up the message board and makes it more difficult for fellow members to sort through the vast amount of information contained on the boards. If you have new and important information to add regarding a past discussion, feel free to start a new thread and if need be, add a link to the original thread.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #13
Jethro
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Jethro

thanx for your responce to the rules. Can you define the timeline that a topic is outdated? 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years? What if at the time there was a topic that was not answered or not completely answered? Shouldn't all topics that shouldn't be replied to removed or locked? Im not trying to be a smart azz I just want to watch the eggs we step on.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #14
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
thanx for your responce to the rules. Can you define the timeline that a topic is outdated? 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years? What if at the time there was a topic that was not answered or not completely answered? Shouldn't all topics that shouldn't be replied to removed or locked? Im not trying to be a smart azz I just want to watch the eggs we step on.
Well forum rules do not give a special time.

You might contact a forum moderator about it.
But
Use you judgment.

I would say any post over 3 mo or older without a answer is close to dead or outdated.

One problem with answering old post all people that have posted or answered are e mailed that someone has posted to it.
Kinda wakes up the dead.

And usually the origional poster is gone from forum or has changed his e mail.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > TrailBlazer | Trailblazer EXT