Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 09:36 PM   #1
BimmerGurl
AF Newbie

Unhappy shaking steering wheel?

Alrighty this has just started about a month ago when Im going down a hill or when I hit a certain speed my steering wheel shakes and I don't mean a small shake I mean my arms are grabbing the steering wheel to keep control and they are violently shaking with the wheel. Now in the begining I heard that if alot of snow got packed into your tires the wheels would shake but theres no snow I check everyday before I leave and if there is I get it out. So then I think maybe it could be my tires aren't balance right but no less then 2 and 1/2 months I got new snow tires put on in a shop so they SHOULD'VE balanced them right? so that can't be the problem so then I thought alingnment! but the thing with that is if I let go of the wheel when I'm going under 50-60 miles an hour and it stays pretty damn straight then it can't be that either........so what the heck is going on here??!!??!! any help anyone?
BimmerGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
beirutvet
AF Newbie

Re: shaking steering wheel?

Control Arm Bushings or engine mounts. I say this only because I am experiencing the same problem with my 97 540i. Only happens between 45 and 50, does not happen all the time and some times shakes quite violently sometimes very little. I did a search on this site. In the search this thread box above, type steering wheel vibration and hit enter you will get about 4 responses. Third one down describes something similar to what you noticed.

Good Luck.
beirutvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 07:29 AM   #3
Dick Schneiders
AF Newbie

Re: Re: shaking steering wheel?

Yep, this should be it. It happened on both of my e34's, and is very common. Not too expensive to fix, and you will be amazed at how much difference it will make in the handling of your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beirutvet
Control Arm Bushings or engine mounts. I say this only because I am experiencing the same problem with my 97 540i. Only happens between 45 and 50, does not happen all the time and some times shakes quite violently sometimes very little. I did a search on this site. In the search this thread box above, type steering wheel vibration and hit enter you will get about 4 responses. Third one down describes something similar to what you noticed.

Good Luck.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:09 AM   #4
beirutvet
AF Newbie

Bimmer Girl, Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem? I'm asking because my mechanic seems skeptical about the bushings. First thought wheel balance (duh), that wasn't it, now he thinks there may be a problem with the rotors. Just curious if you were able to identify and correct your vibration problem.
beirutvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:54 PM   #5
Misha1973
AF Newbie

I tookk my 528i to a m echanic to replace the rear sway bar link and he turned my front rotors (I did not ask him for that). The car has 76000 miles and original disks. He put on new brake pads. After that, the steering wheel begins to shake at certain speeds. Mostly around 60-70mph. When slowing down from the cruising speed - same effect. However, it is a minor vibration. What you discribe sounds like tie rods may need be replaced. Check sway bars as well.
Misha1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:23 PM   #6
AzTek_LoCo
AF Newbie

i just had the same problem with my 90 525i i replaced the bushings and the strut bars and it stopped til just this last friday coming home from work it started up again but only when im doing 45mph so maybe my mechanic sux.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:45 AM   #7
BruceSwanson
AF Newbie

I have a 98 540 that does the same thing: shakes like crazy at 50 mph. It is not the rotors, since I just changed them. I also rotated the tires and it is still shaking. I'm getting new michelins this week so we'll see how it goes, but I'm not holding my breath.
BruceSwanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:44 AM   #8
gregoryv
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceSwanson
I have a 98 540 that does the same thing: shakes like crazy at 50 mph. It is not the rotors, since I just changed them. I also rotated the tires and it is still shaking. I'm getting new michelins this week so we'll see how it goes, but I'm not holding my breath.
Hey man, I have just begun to experience the same problem on my 98 528i. shakes at 55 and does not stop even when I accelerate. Did all the tests you can do to eliminate the wheels and tires. All bushings look good as far as the suspension. Were you successful in resolving this problem and if so, please tell me what's the fix. My mecnx is in guessing mode.
gregoryv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:01 AM   #9
tnabiz528i
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to tnabiz528i
Cool

I am currious do you have after market wheels on your car? The reason I ask is because I have taken my car in several times to my wheel guy bitchin about the shake demanding another balance and then it seems fine for a few weeks and then the damn shakeing again. There responce to me was duh you have after market wheels you drive around and sooner or later the weights are going to fall off since they are stick on due to the fact that they can not put weights on the out side like normal wheels cause it would look like crap. So in the long run I was told stock wheels, or deal with it.
tnabiz528i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:48 PM   #10
Misha1973
AF Newbie

I had vibration on my 528i when slowing down as well and thought it were control arms. The mechanic who looked at it said they were indeed very loose so he replaced them. I do not have it anymore. However, there is still vibration at 55mph! I have a similar on my 2002 Audi A6. I took it to the dealer and he told me that the front rims were dented inside from hitting potholes! I am not overly bothered, taut suspensions do this. Correct tire pressure alleviates this a bit.
Misha1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:40 PM   #11
themadcranedriver
AF Newbie

I've got a 94' e34 525. It shakes through the steering wheel and the whole car at 45mph and 90mph. I've had the wheels balanced and I fitted spacers as adviced by a bmw dealership, it still shakes. I was also adviced that it could be the universal joints on the prop shaft, so I had these checked and they are fine. I see that there are some similar problems with answers. Could it be the tie rods as answered by someone or could it be something else? I would be very grateful for any help.......................
themadcranedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:32 PM   #12
Five2Five
AF Newbie

Hello everyone - New to Forums and a first time BMW owner. I have a number of years of experience as a mechanic for luxury cars and in the Off-Road world. The shaking in the steering wheel has also occurred on my 89 525i - I traced it down, replaced the parts and fixed it! The upper thrust arms have bushing at the frame and you can not see the cracks in them from the outside. When removed they were cracked so I replaced them. I also found the outer tie rod ends very worn so I replaced them. I had the alignment checked and shaking is gone! Good Luck!
Five2Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:27 AM   #13
jorconi
AF Newbie

Control arm bushings can add to the problem but the real culprit causing a shimmy at around 40 to 50 are the thrus bushings. Replace them and you will have smooth sailing. Make sure you have the alignment checked after you replace them.
jorconi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:34 PM   #14
redmansioner
Banned

Its on the control arm bushings,my steering wheel was also vibrating after it jumped from a large hump of rock and I noticed that my control arms was a bit deformed,I went to my car service dealer and they provided for the BMW aftermarket parts and fixed the whole thing.
redmansioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #15
junbeltran2001
AF Newbie

Smile Re: shaking steering wheel?

to fix this kind of problem replace the upper control arm not the bushing...whole assymbly...because certain milleages the ball joint will get damage...i replaced mine and every thing is running smooth....i spent 278 for 1 pair upper control arm.....note: ..... there is 2 control arm upper and lower...replace the upper contol arm or they called thrust control arm..
junbeltran2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series