Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
jocelynandneil
AF Newbie

Angry 95 s10 pickup, no first gear?

My 95 s10 (4.2 2wd auto) was slipping into first gear when we bought it. had the tranny serviced, now no first gear at all, not even when you put it manually into first. tried to have it diagnosed, no codes on tranny. the guy at the shop tried to tell me that there is no problem with the tranny. im sure it should shift three times (into 2 into 3 into OD) only shifts twice. also the truck has no tach so its hard to say wether or not it is actually shifting from first to second because it still slips in whatever gear its taking off in. driving me crazy. can someone tell me at what speed will it shift into second in if ive got the pedal to the metal, and also just driving normally? My dad is a very good mechanic, but doesnt have obd2 diag. He can also tell that there is no first gear. I know theyre not a hot rod by anymeans, but i just got into this 95 short box, short cab, 4.3 automatic with 180 000 kms, from my 94 short box, long cab, 2wd 4.3 automatic with 405 000 kms on it. my old one with more than twice the mileage towed better, had more balls off the line. Also there is only a 4 speed auto in the 95. the 94 had 4 speed auto with torque lock up, whats the deal with that? Hopefully there is someone on here who knows more about this problem than my dad and I. any help would be appreciated. thanks
jocelynandneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: 95 s10 pickup, no first gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelynandneil View Post
My 95 s10 (4.2 2wd auto) was slipping into first gear when we bought it. had the tranny serviced, now no first gear at all, not even when you put it manually into first. tried to have it diagnosed, no codes on tranny. the guy at the shop tried to tell me that there is no problem with the tranny. im sure it should shift three times (into 2 into 3 into OD) only shifts twice. also the truck has no tach so its hard to say wether or not it is actually shifting from first to second because it still slips in whatever gear its taking off in. driving me crazy. can someone tell me at what speed will it shift into second in if ive got the pedal to the metal, and also just driving normally? My dad is a very good mechanic, but doesnt have obd2 diag. He can also tell that there is no first gear. I know theyre not a hot rod by anymeans, but i just got into this 95 short box, short cab, 4.3 automatic with 180 000 kms, from my 94 short box, long cab, 2wd 4.3 automatic with 405 000 kms on it. my old one with more than twice the mileage towed better, had more balls off the line. Also there is only a 4 speed auto in the 95. the 94 had 4 speed auto with torque lock up, whats the deal with that? Hopefully there is someone on here who knows more about this problem than my dad and I. any help would be appreciated. thanks
Needs checked for codes.
Scanner or jumper Pin A & B.
Post back any codes.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
jocelynandneil
AF Newbie

had it scanned twice, "no data" available for the tranny. went to a great transmission shop thismorning. there is first gear, but only when you put it in 1 and hammer on the gas. heres what it does, you put the pedal to the metal, it slips for a second, clunks into first for a split second, then shifts into second gear right away. talking to the tranny doctor thismorning gave me some insight on how this electronic tranny works. since it has been rebuilt more than a year ago before i bought the truck, warranty is past due. he suspects one of three things. 1- they put a different tranny in it that can't perform the actions that the ecu is telling it to. 2- they have the wrong valvebody/spacer plate in it. 3- they either used or were sent the wrong gaskets that go on both sides of the spacer place. Since the 95 is a year all on it's own, its should be pretty easy to identify these problems. but the problem is not a common problem, so where do we start? I have more confidence now than i did yesterday though, so im feeling a little better about it. Thanks for the advice!
jocelynandneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelynandneil View Post
had it scanned twice, "no data" available for the tranny. went to a great transmission shop thismorning. there is first gear, but only when you put it in 1 and hammer on the gas. heres what it does, you put the pedal to the metal, it slips for a second, clunks into first for a split second, then shifts into second gear right away. talking to the tranny doctor thismorning gave me some insight on how this electronic tranny works. since it has been rebuilt more than a year ago before i bought the truck, warranty is past due. he suspects one of three things. 1- they put a different tranny in it that can't perform the actions that the ecu is telling it to. 2- they have the wrong valvebody/spacer plate in it. 3- they either used or were sent the wrong gaskets that go on both sides of the spacer place. Since the 95 is a year all on it's own, its should be pretty easy to identify these problems. but the problem is not a common problem, so where do we start? I have more confidence now than i did yesterday though, so im feeling a little better about it. Thanks for the advice!
What did the transmission shop say to do?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis